Drivers door lock switch won't lock? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door lock switch won't lock?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi all,
I've searched and read many of the posts on similar problems...and i guess i'm just looking to confrim my thoughts.

my driver side door switch will not lock, however it will unlock. Furher, my key fob won't lock the truck either. But i CAN UNLOCK from the driver side door - and I can do both UNLOCK and LOCK from the passenger side door???

I've switched the switch, nothing changed...

is there a driver side door 'lock' replay?

or is this more likely the wire problem and if so - where is this wire that may be broken?

any help would be hugely apprecaited :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i have the opposite. Mine will lock but when i hit the code for the keyless entry i get nothing. The only thing i have found that helps is to apply a little bit of penetrating oil w/lithium just spray a little bit on the catch latch of the door. It works for a while and then starts acting goofy. I would use the key lock/unlock but thanks to some lowlife trying to punch it out i cant.

my problem is electrical. all the mechanism's work.

Hi all,
I've searched and read many of the posts on similar problems...and i guess i'm just looking to confrim my thoughts.

my driver side door switch will not lock, however it will unlock. Furher, my key fob won't lock the truck either. But i CAN UNLOCK from the driver side door - and I can do both UNLOCK and LOCK from the passenger side door???

I've switched the switch, nothing changed...

is there a driver side door 'lock' replay?

or is this more likely the wire problem and if so - where is this wire that may be broken?

any help would be hugely apprecaited :)

I have the same problem. 95 Eddie Bauer, 198,700 miles. The driver's side switch unlocks but doesn't lock. The passenger side switch works perfectly.

Haven't opened it up yet or "switched the switch". I'm open to ideas and suggestions based on experience.

Thanks!

I've switched the switch - so to speak...i'll check the wires if the weather ever warms up.

i have the same problem but its on the passenger side any thoughts on what to do?

my driver's side switch is the same... it will unlock, but not lock.
been that way for a couple years.

I ignore it, since I don't need to lock it when I'm inside the truck, but my key fob works too, plus I have an alarm/remote start to take care of that also :D

Have you tried cleaning your switch connections? I know on my key fob even, I had to pop it apart and clean everything out- I used to have to push the button extra hard and hold it a little longer than normal to get the key fob to actuate the locks...

I had a similar problem. My passenger side switch worked, but it would seem to stick once in a while. When this happened, my drivers side unlock button wouldnt work unless I fooled around with the passenger side first. As long as no one messed with my passenger side switch, everything was fine.

Try unplugging one of the switches and then try your key fob. Then plug it back in and unplug the other switch. Try your keyfob again. If your keyfob starts working while one of your switches is disconnected, you can bet that the disconnected switch is acting up.

I have the same problem. 95 Eddie Bauer, 198,700 miles. The driver's side switch unlocks but doesn't lock. The passenger side switch works perfectly.

Haven't opened it up yet or "switched the switch". I'm open to ideas and suggestions based on experience.

My driver's side switch is just the opposite.

It will lock but not unlock the doors. The keypad and keyfob work fine and the passenger's side works too. I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts, but that didn't change anything. The switch looked fine inside - I couldn't find anything wrong with it. All I can figure is, I have a broken wire or something. I gave up on it a while back and never got back to it.:dunno:

It will lock but not unlock the doors. The keypad and keyfob work fine and the passenger's side works too. I took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts, but that didn't change anything. The switch looked fine inside - I couldn't find anything wrong with it. All I can figure is, I have a broken wire or something. I gave up on it a while back and never got back to it.:dunno:

To both of you - most likely problem is a broken wire in the door bundle on the drivers side. I'm tall, so I just reach across to the pass side switch, but i do plan on fixing it eventually.

Ya, bobflood, that's what I figured as well. Perhaps this is cantspell's problem too.:scratch:

Mine has a similar problem, but a little different - power locks work perfectly on all doors except the driver's door, which will neither lock NOR unlock, except with the key. It makes a sound, and moves slightly when I hit the button, but not enough to engage the lock/unlock mechanism...any ideas??

oh oh !

Do I see a recall in the future??? Anyway take joeDirt's advice check connections, fuses, grounds, etc; If you live in an area that salts your roads or any other wire eating road food. It happens

1998 Explorer XLt

Same thing. Drivers door switch will lock but not unlock, passenger and keyfob work fine.

I DID replace the switch and same problem. I opened it up and bridged wires and I CAN make it unlock with 2 paperclips??? but not the new switch??

I am going to clean all the wires first then report back. I have both doors off now to compare wiring.

Tip for those of you thinking about replacing the switch, the passenger and drivers doors use a different switch...

I found my problem but i have no idea where to trace the wire too.... Its the pink wires that lock or unlock the door when the circuts are connected. The one I need is pink with a gren stripe. Disappears into the door hinge and from there I have no idea...

I found my problem but i have no idea where to trace the wire too.... Its the pink wires that lock or unlock the door when the circuts are connected. The one I need is pink with a gren stripe. Disappears into the door hinge and from there I have no idea...

The first place to check for a broken wire is in the door hinge itself. That wire then goes back to the RAP (Remote Access Personality) module in the driver's rear access panel. It runs under the plastic trim pieces along the side of the passenger compartment on the drivers side. There is also a splice near the rear seat that has a reputation for going bad. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first place to check for a broken wire is in the door hinge itself. That wire then goes back to the RAP (Remote Access Personality) module in the driver's rear access panel. It runs under the plastic trim pieces along the side of the passenger compartment on the drivers side. There is also a splice near the rear seat that has a reputation for going bad. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you fix it.

When i cut open that pink wire, It was corroded and some of the coppers were a dark brown like it had overheated somewhere. Im assuming worst case and that the whole wire may be bad in multiple spots. If I can find where it ends on the other side I may just run a whole new wire.

Questions:

do you happen to have a diagram for it? Drivers rear access panel is where the jack is right? and the numbers for the outer lock keypad? and the splice near the seat, where do i access it from? just the back seat? or do i need to get under the rear seat.

Also! =] where is the ultimate end of this wire in case i need to just run a new one. Is it in the rear access panel? I know there is a computer box or something back there.

Thanks for the Info!

Back