DVD Headrest and other options questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DVD Headrest and other options questions

bogeydog

Reaction score
2011 DVD Observations/Questions

We bought a 2011 Limited that included DVD head rest on the factory window sticker. We did not add it on at the time of purchase. Much to our surprise, they were not factory installed, but we had to return to the dealer to have them installed. After installation we have the following observances and questions. Please respond with any information you have.

1) Despite page 69 of the supplied at time of delivery Navigation System Sync book, DVD's cannot be controlled by front Sync/Nav screen. All is controlled by hand held remote or at the DVD player itself.
2) New headrests are NOT adjustable as the stock ones were.
3) Dealer did NOT return original headrest.
4) FM modulator is poor.
5) Despite page 58 of the same book, you CANNOT play a DVD in the CD slot and view when the vehicle is parked. It will not recognize disc.

Is there a way to connect the head rest to the head unit? Seems I read somewhere that the Flex has this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I spoke to a dealer about this, I was told it can be either a factory installed option, or dealer installed. But, every sticker I have viewed on line shows it as a dealer installed option. I certainly hope that if it is dealer installed, you don't lose a lot of the functions you state it should have (specifically the ability to control through Sync) otherwise I may be looking elsewhere.

Anyone have any info on this?

When I spoke to a dealer about this, I was told it can be either a factory installed option, or dealer installed. But, every sticker I have viewed on line shows it as a dealer installed option. I certainly hope that if it is dealer installed, you don't lose a lot of the functions you state it should have (specifically the ability to control through Sync) otherwise I may be looking elsewhere.

Anyone have any info on this?

The RES is dealer installed but ordered with the vehicle from the factory.

Same question exactly was asked on Facebook. Here was the answer.

Ford Explorer Martina - I'm sorry to hear of your experience - it is not up to par. I can help explain a bit, I think. The Navigation/Sync booklet that was included with your owners manual should not have been included - it is for the old model nav syste...m. We shipped about 1500 units with these booklets, but we have asked the dealers to remove them at delivery, and that clearly did not occur. All of the Nav system information for Explorer is contained within the owners manual. The new Nav system uses information from an SD card, rather than on a hard drive, so we no longer have a DVD player as part of Nav (one way we were able to reduce the price). Stacey is correct (of course) - because it is dealer-installed, it is not controlled through the My Ford Touch screen. You are also correct that Flex had a factory-installed unit. However, we had some issues with plant installation, and we have now reverted to dealer-installed units only. Finally, I see no reason for the dealer to keep your headrests - ask to have them returned and let me know if you have problems. CraigSee More

Now you got me concerned about the headrest installed DVD that I ordered with my Limited. If the integration is not there then why are we forking out $2100 (In canada anyway) to get this option?

Should we cancel this option for a cheaper alternative? Has anyone tried this?

I still think the 2 Ipads with holders someone mentioned before would be a much better bang for your buck, but you would have to copy movies onto it.

There are cheaper alternative for headrest DVD players out there. I plan on saving myself some $ also and going to the secondary market to find some.

Or the reason for the price tag is some of the cost cover the labor it takes to install them?

This was one option our 2009 explorer has and we did like it, but the use of it was a bit difficult. I used to install overheads and headrest units and this system is a rip off! You can get an aftermarket system for much less. I was told that some kid got hit with a falling overhead unit from ford and sued that is why they don't offer them now!......The main problem with sound now is the fact that they don't have an aux headphone type input to the factory head unit only USB this is why they used the fm modulator which is a poor way for the factory to get sound into the unit........I think I will be using the iPad with the Bluetooth for sound.......

What brand is the headrest. The dealer installed audiovox headrests in my 2011 limited. I don't like them as they do not support your head as well as the regular headrests. Ok so they play a movie. A lot if good that is when you get rear ended and have whiplash. I'm wondering if these are the ford official headrests or if my dealer cheaped out on me.

The official Ford dvd headrests should be the Invision brand (revolution line I believe), not Audiovox. All of the brochure pics show the Invision headrests and that is what my dealer has on his showroom vehicle too. I think your dealer cheaped out on you, I hope he didn't charge you the full (Invision) price for those. If he did, I would certainly complain about it.

This is what your headrests should look like:

Invisionheadrest.jpg

Interesting though, if you look at the audiovox website and look at mobile video headrests, they have an audiovox selection and an invision selection. I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Might be worth a call to audiovox first to find out what the difference is.

http://mobile.audiovox.com/movies2go/

hmmm, now that I searched some more, I see that Audiovox bought Invision last year

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=10ed5043a6013aa8

Still not sure about what this means, maybe you have some really newly made headrests and audiovox is rebranding all of them with their name and going to do away with the invision name? Maybe they got the wrong ones by mistake? Maybe the audiovox are cheaper somehow?

After reading this thread i think i am going to cancel my Dual headrest option.. I like the Ipad idea, so can anyone else find a good solution to mount the Ipads(headrest) and then a power feed to them??
I have found the headrest mounts but am concerned that i will have a cord running from it to the power. I don't want it to look messy..

2 Ipad 64gig + $1500
Mounts = $200
Power cords = $75
Total = 1775
Plus you get the internet option with them..
I guess i have to add Bluetooth headsets, but still a good option..

Anybody thinking of this Mod as well?

After reading this thread i think i am going to cancel my Dual headrest option.. I like the Ipad idea, so can anyone else find a good solution to mount the Ipads(headrest) and then a power feed to them??
I have found the headrest mounts but am concerned that i will have a cord running from it to the power. I don't want it to look messy..

2 Ipad 64gig + $1500
Mounts = $200
Power cords = $75
Total = 1775
Plus you get the internet option with them..
I guess i have to add Bluetooth headsets, but still a good option..

Anybody thinking of this Mod as well?

I'm considering doing this too, but I really only need 1 Ipad since I only have 1 child in the back to entertain. And I don't want to have to worry about taking 2 ipads down everytime I park someplace, I'm sure someone would steal an Ipad in plain sight if given the chance.
Also, wouldn't you have a power cord anyway whether it be to the mount or the ipad itself?

yea i guess the cord that comes with it might work i was just thinking to use a 12volt cord instead, that way it frees up the Ac outlet for other stuff, but either way it works..
And yea i would probably only buy one as well, just wanted the compare to show you could replace the dual headrests with dual Ipads for same money..

I am sure an aftermarket stereo place could do a pretty clean install.

If you only buy one that frees up $$ for a USB internet stick!!

I'm going down the ipad route as well but I'm not using an ipad. I'm waiting for the cheaper/better Asus EEE pads to hit or possibly the Motorola Zoom. If Apple drops the price on the ipad when the ipad2 comes out, maybe I'll consider it but I REALLY don't like the idea of no external storage/USB port on the ipad.

You can get mounts MUCH cheaper if you want, there's several out there (google images shows a ton). www.viewsticks.com has them for $20

As for power, doesn't the ipad have a cable with a USB on one end and the Apple-only connection on the other so it can charge? If the cable is long enough you can charge it with the USB ports in the center console or use the 110V and a plug-to-USB adapter.

You can get the 12vdc ipad car charger from ebay for around $8 and a pretty nice headrest mount for around $25. I'm on the fence right now about waiting for the ipad 2 or just getting the original.

I'm sticking with the headrests, I like the fully integrated look and hate having cords hanging etc. I think the only way I would go with something other than the headrests would be if I could make them look just like the headrests, integrate with the sound system in the car, etc. Even having to have wires for the headphones would bug me, although I guess you could get bluetooth headphones.

Ok, so am i the only one who actually has them in an explorer right now? My problem isn't the price or how they play movies. I am concerned because they do not support the head the way the factory (non dvd) headrests do. To me that is a huge issue. The dealer said they area going to order some of the invision ones and see the difference. But if audiovox makes them, they may be the same. In which case, I'm taking them out. No movie is worth whiplash. If anyone else has a set, I would like to know what you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea i think i will wait for the Ipad 2/Xoom/HPpad and see which would give me the most felxibilty.. I kinda like the option of copying a movie to a usb drive and using it for playback.

Back