Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Electrical Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by DrHalfHand, January 14, 2020.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. DrHalfHand

DrHalfHand New Member

City, State:
    Bloomington, IN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Limited V8 4x4
    Here's a puzzle for you all:

Every so often my 2003 4.6L V8 Explorer Limited won't start: when I turn the key it's as if the battery were completely dead. However, if I quickly disconnect the negative battery cable and then reconnect it then it'll start up on the first turn of the key. Basically my solution up until now has been to "turn it off and back on" to see if it fixes the problem.

Any idea what could be causing this? Something electronic that gets stuck open or shorted that then is released when the battery is disconnected?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. fordysenior

fordysenior Active Member

City, State:
    True Northern California
    2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
    Maybe corrosion between the battery post and cable. Clean them. And that corrosion might not be easily visible. Clean them, retighten the bolts on the cables.

Last edited: January 14, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Could also have a bad cable.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @DrHalfHand

Acid from the battery finds it's way under the connections at the terminals, corrodes them (the posts and "grippers" around them), and can eat it's way up into the strands of individual wires quite a way back into the cables. This reduces both the cables' ability to carry heavy starting current, as well as handle the very high surge present at the terminals just as the key is turned.

If limited to terminals, thorough cleaning AND greasing with Vaseline will cure it. Otherwise, replacing cables is the best route. imp