Engine swap

Arfieroman

Reaction score
City, State
Clarendon, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC
96 EB
Hello all, I have a question for you. I have a 96 EB that has a cracked head, I bought a 98 with a 4.0ohv for the transmission to put in my son's 97. Can I use the 98 engine in my 96 and if not, can I just use the heads? Asking because the 98 has a little over 100K less miles than my current engine. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If both are OHV you should be good to go. There will need to be a fair amount of stuff swapped (return vs returnless fuel systems for one) but it should be pretty much a bolt on ordeal.

If both are OHV you should be good to go. There will need to be a fair amount of stuff swapped (return vs returnless fuel systems for one) but it should be pretty much a bolt on ordeal.
So I need to change the intake or just the fuel rail? Not sure what you mean by return v returnless

The earlier model has a fuel line, and a fuel return to the tank. The 98 only has the feed line.

I believe it’s just the rails, but I’m not positive. Someone else will chime in soon.

4.0 L Cologne OHV V6 (1995–2000)
4.0 L Cologne SOHC V6 (1997–2003)
5.0 L Windsor OHV V8 (1996–2001)

Seems odd that Ford continued the 4.0 over head valve after 1997, but apparently it happened.

The fuel system happened in mid 98 I think

So you may have a unicorn and just bolt it up

From what it sounds like you do have all the parts tho

Do us a favor and take some pictures before and after and along the way to it would make for a great thread
Good luck

The fuel system happened in mid 98 I think

So you may have a unicorn and just bolt it up

From what it sounds like you do have all the parts tho

Do us a favor and take some pictures before and after and along the way to it would make for a great thread
Good luck
Might depend on the motor? I’ve got two 98s with late 97 build dates, both returnless.

Image 1 is the 96, 2 is the donor

IMG_20200118_100458100_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200118_100248059_HDR.jpg

Currently doing the transmission swap to my son's 97, whoever designed all this crap needs to be drawn and quartered! Little to no room for a decent sized hand to get to anything and had to cut the passenger side exhaust before the slipjoint because it was squoze so tight the pipe deformed!

There is access to the top bolts under the console FWIW.

There is access to the top bolts under the console FWIW.
Luckily, I had extension and swivel for those. I have had the engine out and rebuilt it about 3000 miles ago. At least I had some expectations there. Wish I had the hindsight to go through the transmission at that time!

If you remove drive shaft and rear tranny mount you can tilt the tranny down and get a little more room to remove top tranny bolts.

If the engine is the same out of another year wouldn't one just use the long block and the put everything on it that came in/with the one that you are working on?
Did I say that where it makes sense? it's 4:20 a.m. here and all of the brain cells havn't woke up yet

According to "Engine Rebuilder" magazine, FORD changed the exhaust port design for 98' for emissions reasons (smaller port) on the 4.0L OHV engine.

""1998-2000

Ford introduced another new head in ’98. The exhaust ports on the 98TM-AD were much narrower than they were on the earlier castings; they measured 1.40? across the port compared to 1.70? on the 95TM/97TM castings. According to the engineers I have talked to, the smaller ports increased the velocity of the exhaust gasses so they carried more heat down to the catalytic converter. This helped the converter “light off” sooner, so it did a better job of reducing emissions during the critical start-up and driveaway phase of the EPA emissions test. With that in mind, it’s probably not a good idea to swap these heads back and forth with any of the earlier castings.""

If you put the 98' heads on a 96' block, and use the 96' PCM, the calibration in the PCM for fuel and spark timing may be different between the two years. Personally, I would only use heads with the correct date and casting numbers.

If the engine is the same out of another year wouldn't one just use the long block and the put everything on it that came in/with the one that you are working on?
Did I say that where it makes sense? it's 4:20 a.m. here and all of the brain cells havn't woke up yet
Would be fine and dandy but my issue on the 96 4.0 Ohv is I have a cracked head between the intake and exhaust valves on #3. Engine has 297K, 98 engine is solid with 162K on the clock so going with the newer engine at this time makes more sense to me. New Engine Tech heads, gaskets and bolts roughly $800, transmission for son's truck $800-1200 (sun gear broken). Only paid $350 for donor, rotten body but engine and transmission are good. Makes more monetary sense to swap out until we have time/money to completely rebuild.

According to "Engine Rebuilder" magazine, FORD changed the exhaust port design for 98' for emissions reasons (smaller port) on the 4.0L OHV engine.

""1998-2000

Ford introduced another new head in ’98. The exhaust ports on the 98TM-AD were much narrower than they were on the earlier castings; they measured 1.40? across the port compared to 1.70? on the 95TM/97TM castings. According to the engineers I have talked to, the smaller ports increased the velocity of the exhaust gasses so they carried more heat down to the catalytic converter. This helped the converter “light off” sooner, so it did a better job of reducing emissions during the critical start-up and driveaway phase of the EPA emissions test. With that in mind, it’s probably not a good idea to swap these heads back and forth with any of the earlier castings.""

If you put the 98' heads on a 96' block, and use the 96' PCM, the calibration in the PCM for fuel and spark timing may be different between the two years. Personally, I would only use heads with the correct date and casting numbers.
Using the whole engine, not just heads. Thanks for the heads up on the the head swap though, will be saving the engine for a complete rebuild in the near future.

Transmission 1 out after about 9 hours. My boys just want me for guidance. Could have had it out last weekend, but they thought they would be smart and try to pull it without unbolting the TC. When they decided I was right, took them less than 20 minutes to get it out and on the ground. I suspect that the next one won't take as long. Then motor time.

well done
Pulling your first 4r55e can be a real pita especially with the V6 exhaust right in the way!
There are plenty or tips and tricks that can have that transmission out in half that time, but we can get into that later.
Also you could have pulled the engine and trans together.................

We still have not determined if your 98 engine has one fuel line or two, the fuel lines are on the drivers side below brake booster

The 96 engine will have two fuel lines
the 98 engine has 1 or 2 fuel lines?

The 96 also uses a 4r55e automatic
The 98 uses a 5r55e automatic

Installing the 98 transmission into the 96 truck should work just fine IF your truck is 4x4......................

Is this truck 4x4???

I ask because the 96 has a speed sensor that is required and may not be present in the 98 transmission

You need to answer these questions otherwise you may be getting in pretty deep here.

Return fuel was used from 1986-1998.5
Returnless fuel was used 98+
Return fuel has the pump in the tank feeding 42 psi to the fuel rail, where anything that is needed is used, goes through a vacuum regulator and the remaining fuel over 42 psi is returned to the tank. (two fuel lines, one for return)

Returnless fuel has the pump in the tank feeding 64 psi to the fuel rail, the pressure regulator is mounted in the tank with the pump and the 64+/- psi is delivered to the fuel rail. Nothing is returned to the tank (single fuel line, no return)

So you see the two systems are completely different, different fuel rails, different injectors, different plumbing and different operating pressures

You can make the 98 engine work with the 96 fuel rail and injectors if needed. If they are both return style fuel then its just plug and play

There is a reason why we ask these questions and you need to provide the answers so we can help you with this swap!

well done
Pulling your first 4r55e can be a real pita especially with the V6 exhaust right in the way!
There are plenty or tips and tricks that can have that transmission out in half that time, but we can get into that later.

We still have not determined if your 98 engine has one fuel line or two, the fuel lines are on the drivers side below brake booster

Installing the 98 transmission into the 96 truck should work just fine IF your truck is 4x4......................

Is this truck 4x4???

I ask because the 96 has a speed sensor that is required and may not be present in the 98 transmission

You need to answer these questions otherwise you may be getting in pretty deep here.

Return fuel has the pump in the tank feeding 42 psi to the fuel rail, where anything that is needed is used, goes through a vacuum regulator and the remaining fuel over 42 psi is returned to the tank. (two fuel lines, one for return)

Returnless fuel has the pump in the tank feeding 64 psi to the fuel rail, the pressure regulator is mounted in the tank with the pump and the 64+/- psi is delivered to the fuel rail. Nothing is returned to the tank (single fuel line, no return)

So you see the two systems are completely different, different fuel rails, different injectors, different plumbing and different operating pressures

You can make the 98 engine work with the 96 fuel rail and injectors if needed. If they are both return style fuel then its just plug and play

There is a reason why we ask these questions and you need to provide the answers so we can help you with this swap!
Hey, I tried, he insisted on full steam ahead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well done

Is this truck 4x4???

5r55E is going in a 4x4 97 XLT w SOHC. My 96 EB has the 4 speed and it was rebuilt just before I bought it. They couldn't get it to stay in park so originally bought it as a parts truck for $500, turned out to be $6 shifter bushings in the column. Felt bad and tried to give the lady more money and she said she was just done with it.

Back