Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Im swapping a 2000 mounty drivetrain etc into my 98 ranger. If I grab a steering coulumn which has the transceiver and key in it. I grab the pats module from behind the airbag and the 5.0 ecu. If they all 3 came from different explorers or mountys all I would need is a tow to the stealership for them to introduce the pats components and it should start right up. Is this correct Or did I miss something? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your '98 had PATS also so it had the key, transceiver, PATS module and ECU for a complete system. You should be able to use all as it is.

Your issue is not PATS but fuel. The '98 used a 45psi fuel injection system with a rail mounted pressure regulator and a fuel return line to the tank. The '00 used a tank mounted pressure regulator for a 65psi system and no return line. The injectors are different as are the wiring harness connectors to the injectors.

You will either have to change out everything, harness, injectors, ECU, etc. to look like one or the other. Then there is the transmission harness'. They are different also.

See this thread for further discussion on the subject: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364540

[edit]Oops! Moving to a Ranger. That I do not know about so the above needs to be confirmed.

sorry to disagree but no 98 Rangers came with pats. I think you would be correct if we where talking explorers. This truck is a 1998 ranger xlt 2wd and the donors have all been 99 or 00 mountys. 98 rangers have the same fuel pressure requirments 56-72 psi with no return line as the 99 01 5.0 explorers. they also share the same vss sensor location.

Im swapping a 2000 mounty drivetrain etc into my 98 ranger. If I grab a steering coulumn which has the transceiver and key in it. I grab the pats module from behind the airbag and the 5.0 ecu. If they all 3 came from different explorers or mountys all I would need is a tow to the stealership for them to introduce the pats components and it should start right up. Is this correct Or did I miss something? Thank you

The 98 Ranger has a pre-1999 low EFI pressure system, so you do need the 99+ PCM and pressure regulator at the fuel pump, to work with the 2000 donor parts you mentioned.

If I gather correctly that the Ranger didn't come with a frame mounted g-force sensor, you will need that also. Along with the PATS, the Explorer sent the VSS signal through the ABS module, to the PCM. If the Ranger doesn't handle the VSS the same way, you will also need the ABS module and the wiring for it, thus the engine bay harness.

The thread linked above about the swap issues should cover these things, but it's good to keep going over them often. There are lots of details like those that can mess up a basic swap plan.

I, and a few of your favorite friends would appreciate you posting the solution to the Explorer to Ranger engine swap on the attempt to definitive define the '96 - '01 engine swap solutions.

Pin Schema

I would like to know if anyone know the pin layout for the PATS ecu. I saw the pin illustration (color code an use) for the transponder and would like to know what is the output for pin 12, I know it controls the selenoid on the diesels without turbo (naturally aspirated).

Anyone know what pins 1 to 15 do please let me know.

I have the color codes for tracing purposes, I want to know the pins output/input values. I can get the vehicle to crank and diesel to go to the injectors, but there seems to be something stopping the engine from starting, I have completely removed the immobiliser and transponder connections.

TwEECer's programming manual for their EEC V tuning device makes disabling PATS sound like a non issue. Does anyone know why a Ford dealer's computer system should not be able to do the same thing?

PATS_disable_switch
This switch controls the anti-theft system.
A value of one (1) will disables the anti-theft system.
A value of zero (0) allows the anti-theft system to function.

Thats the issue I ran into, my local ford stealerships all said no due to either liability ( BS) or because it is just too old and they dont screw with old stuff, the latter I know to be true because they farm out alot of older stuff to local shops.

So, those of us that are attempting to use a PATS enabled engine PCM anywhere out of its native environment are stuck with a $400 custom tune?

I paid my $400 and my car runs but I know of at least two folks doing this engine swap that are stuck at PATS.

Seems like some shop would be happy to do the one step turnoff for a few bucks . . . make that more than a few but lots less than the $400 alternative.

liability release

Typically unusual engine swaps result in an attention getting vehicle that may be more likely to get stolen. If I were in a business with the capability to disable an anti-theft device I would want a signed document from the vehicle owner releasing me of any liability.

On the other hand, installing a PATS disabled power plant into a vehicle with no stock theft prevention capability should not be much of an issue.

Thanks to the information in this forum I have identified the problem with my 2004 explorer as related to the PATS. After having to change the battery terminals the car will no longer turn over. The indicator light on the dash does the rapid flashing when the key is in the run/start position.

Using the information from this forum I have identified the problem code as 1:5 (key not recognized). I have only had one key for many years, so cant try to use another key or reprogram. Rather than have the truck towed to the dealer, I was thinking of having a locksmith come out and program a new key for the system. Is this a reasonable solution? Can changing battery components cause the system to forget the key codes? I don't want to invest in a new key and programming if this is not likely to fix it...thanks for any feedback.

The collar that surrounds the lock and reads the key code could also be the source of the problem. I had one fail on a '98 Lincoln, the first years PATS was introduced. Mine started most of the time but occasionally wouldn't. It took 3 trips to the dealer before they were able to identify the problem and fix it but that may have been because to the newness of the system.

Point being that while there certainly have been reports of keys losing their code there is no guarantee that the fault belongs only to the key. A first question may be is there a way to test the key for having the proper code.

PATS keys

When I purchased my Sport from the tow truck operator who retrieved it after being abandoned on the interstate I was provided one PATS key and one non PATS door key. I purchased an uncut PATS key via ebay and drove my Sport to a PATS qualified locksmith to get the new key cut and recognized by the PCM. The locksmith refused to use my ebay key and cut one from his stock but the PCM would not recognize it. Then he cut my ebay key and the PCM recognized it. He got another key from his stock made by a different company and cut it and the PCM recognized it. He only charged me for the one key he provided that worked.

I think a PATS qualified locksmith (has the machine and knows how to use it) should be able to use a bad key to cut a new one and get it recognized by the PCM. The reason it's expensive is it takes about 20 minutes for each key until two have been recognized. Once two keys are in the PCM memory it only takes a minute for each additional key. That's way every PATS equipped vehicle owner should have three keys.

I don't know about the 2004 but on my 2000 a bad PATS key does not inhibit the starter from cranking. Instead the PCM disables the fuel injectors. I have never had a problem with the PCM losing the recognition of stored keys after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. When I did my timing chain replacement my battery was disconnected for several months and I had no PATS issues when it was reconnected.

Do you have remote start capability? Some members have experienced problems with them after disconnecting the battery. My personal feeling is their convenience is not worth the decrease in reliability and they can be dangerous. Recently a local elderly couple died in their sleep from carbon monoxide fumes from their vehicle running in the garage below their bedroom. It was determined that the vehicle had remoted started by accident or malfunction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also take a hard look at your starter if its not cranking

Back