Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Has anyone had a problem with humming vibration noise on the dash/windshield on the passenger side? I have taken it back to the dealership twice and of course it doesn't make a sound when they drive it. The dealership said there was a problem with the 2011's with the "A" pillar making noise, but nothing like that on the 2013's. It doesn't do it all the time and I cannot figure out what the deciding factor is that makes it do it. Sometimes it does it at low speeds(30 mph) and sometimes at higher speeds(70 mph) but not all the time, it is very aggrevating. It kinda sounds like a busted speaker when it is hit with a lot of bass. Please help.

Your description is exactly what I have noted on my EX. It is annoying as hell. Dealer has already performed the A-pillar TSB before. Not sure now where this problem is coming from...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your description is exactly what I have noted on my EX. It is annoying as hell. Dealer has already performed the A-pillar TSB before. Not sure now where this problem is coming from...
Have you eliminated the plastic cowl that runs the length of the windshield as the possible cause? There have been a few instances where that has been determined as being the problem.

Peter

Yes I'am experiencing windnoise from all side windows once speed is over 55 mph. It's quite noisy inside when have radio and ac off. Mine was built in June this year, it's a 2014 XLT Ex 3.5 V6. You think they did the TSB on the new 2014?

Have you eliminated the plastic cowl that runs the length of the windshield as the possible cause? There have been a few instances where that has been determined as being the problem.

Peter

I'll second this. We replaced the windshield in May 2012. The buzzing noise came back, similar to the A-pillar, only down towards the cowl. I called Safelite after a year and they said that it had become a known issue for them. Apparently, when reinstalling a part on the cowl there are some tabs that must be in a certain position. It took 10 minutes and the buzzing has never come back.

It may be that the tabs weren't correct from the factory on some vehicles. Worth a look.

Yes I'am experiencing windnoise from all side windows once speed is over 55 mph. It's quite noisy inside when have radio and ac off. Mine was built in June this year, it's a 2014 XLT Ex 3.5 V6. You think they did the TSB on the new 2014?

Hi Jeff N Phx,

Send me your information via PM so I can alert your regional customer service manager to your concern. Be sure to include your name, phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership in your message.

Crystal

Peter

Hi Peter, could you please be more specific in which plastic cowl you are referring to? Sorry, a little clueless here.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Peter, could you please be more specific in which plastic cowl you are referring to? Sorry, a little clueless here.

Thanks in advance!
I believe it is the black plastic cowl that runs along the entire bottom of the windshield where the wipers are. Some members have taped it down and the noise disappeared. I think the dealer then replaced it or repaired it somehow. Also see post #247 above.

Peter

I believe it is the black plastic cowl that runs along the entire bottom of the windshield where the wipers are. Some members have taped it down and the noise disappeared. I think the dealer then replaced it or repaired it somehow. Also see post #247 above.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Have a look at my post titled "Howling Noise".

My wife's driver's side A-Pillar flew off this morning on the highway, not sure if it hit anyone behind her. She went to the dealer and bought a new one for over $100. Should this not be a replaceable item since this appears to be a design issue?

2011 Ford Explorer Limited

My wife's driver's side A-Pillar flew off this morning on the highway, not sure if it hit anyone behind her. She went to the dealer and bought a new one for over $100. Should this not be a replaceable item since this appears to be a design issue?

Was the 'A' pillar ever replaced because of the TSB? If so, perhaps they did not use new plastic clips when it was installed. Early repairs done resulted in broken clips that were re-used. Subsequent the repair packages included new clips.

Peter

That is extremely unethical practice by the dealership. They are supposed to check the TSB's and replace under warranty. I would suggest sending a PM to Ford CS on this forum and get them to escalate.

You should not be paying for an "A" pillar applique.

That is extremely unethical practice by the dealership. They are supposed to check the TSB's and replace under warranty. I would suggest sending a PM to Ford CS on this forum and get them to escalate.

You should not be paying for an "A" pillar applique.

Only within 36k miles. However Id still make a stink about it out of warranty with Ford.

Even if it was an issue identified back during the bumper to bumper warranty period?

I have a 2013 as well and my dealer refused to replace it when it blew into a river while crossing a bridge.

I have a 2013 as well and my dealer refused to replace it when it blew into a river while crossing a bridge.

Hey skripo,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this for you. Reach out to me via PM with the information he mentioned and I'll check out ways to help.

Crystal

It's already being taken care of in thread "unbelievable dealer response" thread.

Despite my initial run in, the dealer did a 180 and was extremely nice and worked very hard to help me. Unfortunately Ford gave me the official too bad so sad, case closed so I am headed to small claims court. It's not worth the effort but someone needs to hold them accountable for their inferior quality and engineering mistakes.

Full description here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396282

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search this forum for threads. Ther is one with a post of the noise on video. Downloaded it to my phone, showed it to dealer and no problem. Service manager wanted it sent to his email so the techs could see it. (Didn't tell him it wasn't my Ex) :D

Can someone send me a link to the post which has the noise video ?

off late I have been hearing a strange rattle in my 2012 Explorer at lower speeds (often when rolling from stop) from somewhere in the dashboard, console area and just want to confirm it is not the windshield noise popular with these vehicles

~A

Back