Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
Hi all,

I need your help again.

When braking sometimes, the b-pillar decides to make a pop or groan noise on the initial application. Sometimes you can get 2-3 pops in succession with increased braking.

It does sound like it's trim noise inside of the cabin. I've pulled apart the b-pillar top to bottom but can't find anything loose, and I've also lubricated the weather strips on the adjoining doors, along with lubricated the latches. The top piece of the assembly feels tight, though the bottom piece slightly less so.

Any ideas? The weather strip does seem a little saggy on that side of the car, but it is holding up for the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same issue with creaking from the driver side B pillar. It sounds like interior trim binding, snapping, or rubbing, but I've also ruled that out. I notice it when the body is under tourqe/flex like pulling in a driveway, stopping/starting or traveling on a dirt road. I've wondered if it is a bad body panel weld or joint? I've also checked the B-pillar trim pieces and they don't appear to be the cause of the sound. I've held my hand on the trim (with someone else driving) and the sound seems to come from behind the trim near the floor. I plan to mention it at my next oil change, but don't anticipate the dealer will do anything at this point. It is aggravating to say the least!

On the b-pillar driver side I had a creek. They actually had to shove some seam sealer into the body to get it to stop. It was coming from near the base.

Today I'm going to find some foam tape to start putting around the b-pillar. Or, more appropriately, foam tape aka Ford Explorer Repair Kit. My car has probably a couple of pounds of the stuff just for the other squeaks and rattles the dealer has fixed, but now I'm on my own.

Hi, I have the same noise on my B-Pillar. Any ideas how to fix it?

Has anyone found where this comes from, exactly?

My 2019 Sport is doing this as the weather has heated up. My 2014 did it, too. If I come to a stop, from speed, it’s as if it loads that area. When I then accelerate? I get a pop and if I increase the acceleration, I can make it pop again up to 3 times. Same if I go over a speed bump. Worse on the passengers side, but also happening on the drivers side.

Mine is under warranty, but I hesitate taking it to the dealer as they normally shun dealing with noises like this.

Interested to see if anyone found the exact area and a solution?

thanks!

I have the exact same issue with creaking from the driver side B pillar. It sounds like interior trim binding, snapping, or rubbing, but I've also ruled that out. I notice it when the body is under tourqe/flex like pulling in a driveway, stopping/starting or traveling on a dirt road. I've wondered if it is a bad body panel weld or joint? I've also checked the B-pillar trim pieces and they don't appear to be the cause of the sound. I've held my hand on the trim (with someone else driving) and the sound seems to come from behind the trim near the floor. I plan to mention it at my next oil change, but don't anticipate the dealer will do anything at this point. It is aggravating to say the least!
Any update?

I had the creaking /popping noise on the driver's side when braking. The weld at the base of the B pIllar separated, they can't see it heard and felt it. Dealer body shop had 2 tech go on a test drive. One to drive and one to side in back seat listening for creak. He also had to physically lay down on the floor to listen. The B pillar trim needs to be removed to have no obstruction to hear the noise. Tech also placed hand on pillar base to "feel" the creak. Once concerned was verified they did 2 welds and then primed the repair area. Problem never reappeared. I hope this helps with your repair. Try going to dealership that has own body shop rather than one that sublets body work.

Back