Front Diff/Transfer Case/4x4 Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Diff/Transfer Case/4x4 Problems

1996FordExp4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I am still new to this forum, but am looking for some insight. I have searched up and down and the answer seems to be the Transfer Case. But just wanted to post and get some feedback. The front end of my 1996 4.0L Explorer binds and pops very loud when in 4 wheel drive high while turning (esp tight turns). Its seems other members have had this happen as well. What makes this unique is that it will occasionally bind up while in 2 wheel drive going straight and the steering wheel starts to thump/grind- but it always breaks through.

Any and all insite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am still new to this forum, but am looking for some insight. I have searched up and down and the answer seems to be the Transfer Case. But just wanted to post and get some feedback. The front end of my 1996 4.0L Explorer binds and pops very loud when in 4 wheel drive high while turning (esp tight turns). Its seems other members have had this happen as well. What makes this unique is that it will occasionally bind up while in 2 wheel drive going straight and the steering wheel starts to thump/grind- but it always breaks through.

Any and all insite is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you testing it on dry pavement? The front end will bind when in 4wd and pop when you go around turns. IN 4wd, when you turn the inner tires will move at a slower rate than the tires on the outside since they have to cover more ground but since your doing it in 2wheel drive also, thats a wierd symptom.

Thanks for the reply. I was testing it on wet pavement, but the binding was expected in 4x4 high. Going straight in 2 wheel drive is what is concerning me. It almost feels as though the truck momentarily slips into 4x4 low and starts binding/dragging. It lasts no more than 5 seconds or so and then returns to normal.

Back