Front end noise..sounds like flat spots on tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise..sounds like flat spots on tires

ozexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT Quest
Do u know how many results u get 4 a search on front end noise??????? 400 and still counting!!!!!!
My '97 XLT is making a noise, at all speeds, when going in any direction that sounds like I have these real bad flat spots in my front tires, u can just feel it thru the steering wheel and pedals and its starting to really annoy me!!!!! :banghead: and that is without the groaning suspension noises that i get when i back off the curb out of my driveway!!
Tires look OK, they are black and round..lol, and u cant really get much help from the local ford dealer here in OZ. Thinking it could be the tires, or maybe bearings??
Anyone have any thoughts????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try swapping the front tires with the rears to see if they do, indeed, have flat spots. If the problem doesn't go away, and you can still feel it thru the steering wheel, then it might be bearings or a bad CV shaft(s).

Dave.

Thanks Dave...the exploder is nearly out of used car warranty, so i might have it checked out by the ford dealer, though hopefully its just tires with a bit of luck!!!!
Now I just have to put up with the groaning suspension !!!
Thanks again Dave!

Prior to the dealer, start with a good front end shop. Balance, rotate, check for steering linkage and front end wear. Tires can go bad, but get the simple and common things checked first.

I'm betting it's the bearings. Mine sounds the same, plus i have a "whoo-whoo" sound.

Back