• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise.

kgd102

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport SOHC - 4x4
My 98 Sport makes a clunking noise from the area of the drivers side front tire like some thing is loose whenever I back out of a parking spot and also when I'm just driving and hit some bumps. They don't have to be canyon sized bumps either, just small tiny road imperfections and there is clunking noise that feels like my tire is about to fall off. It started happening back in April when I had my brakes done and when I took it back figuring they left something loose they said that there was no problem.

Anyone have a clue what it might be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be:
-loose sway bar end link
-Loose caliper
-loose ball joint
-worn CV joint
-loose steering linkage
-etc...
Hope you figure out the problem..if you need help see ing if any of those things are loose i may be able to elaborate more. let me know.

Originally posted by 95XLT
Could be:
-loose sway bar end link
-Loose caliper
-loose ball joint
-worn CV joint
-loose steering linkage
-etc...
Hope you figure out the problem..if you need help see ing if any of those things are loose i may be able to elaborate more. let me know.

I'm having that same noise. Did u find out the problem. I replaced my spindle but didn't torque the bolts to the specifications. Just torqued them tight. Could that be the problem?

My clunk went away when my Ford dealer replaced the tie rod ends - about a $300 job, fortunately mine was under the extended warranty. Good luck!

loose brake pads can make that noise, there is nothing wrong with them, they just rattle. Got a 95 Grandmarquis that does that.

My four door has the stock shocks and it makes noise. LOL It also has 117k on it. :)

Well I just went to plce that did my brakes and they said nothing is loose there but they can hear/feel the nosie I am talking about. They said that it could either be something with the front sway bar bushings or the shocks. They said to start with replacing the shocks and that they would cost $160.00. Anyone have any idea how much/difficult it is to change the sway bar bushings?

Do a search for torsion bar adjusters. When they wear out, they make a clanking noise whenever your suspension moves up or down. As far as the sway bar bushings, they take about 30 minutes to replace all of them on the front. Figure on about 10 minutes if you just replace the link bushings. Before plopping down the money for them, remove both links and then back down out of your driveway. If the noise is still there, it's not your bushings. Besides the torsion bar adjusters and sway bar bushings, other things that can cause the noise are worn wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie-rod ends.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna go check it out and see what I come up with. I'll let ya know if I get it fixed.

Check the brake caliper assembly. When it gets loose it'll make a lot of noise. Find a really bumpy road, drive normally and see if if makes the noise, then, press on the brake a little and see if it still makes any noise. If it doesn't tighten the caliper bolts and make sure the pad springs are installed.

2001ExpSport - I have checked it and had it checked at the shop today. It's not that. And when I drive down a bumpy road like you suggested, with or without pressing the brakes I get the noise. When they looked at it at the shop today they were pushing down on the front end and you could feel it then too. It was like a popping type noise. Any got any suggestions?

I have the same noise! I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, though. I still can't tell if it is coming from inside the driver's door or from the front suspension. But, it is getting more constant so the dealer should at least be able to "duplicate the problem".

I have also heard that loose anti-sway bars could cause this.

Next time I have a day off I am going to give it to the dealer for a day and see what they find.

If you get the problem solved, please let us know. Thanks!

Disconnect the sway bar and then drive it. You are going to have to go thru a process to narrow it down. Check the shocks to see if they are loose. Next, with the front end lifted, turn the wheels back and forth by hand, not by the steering wheel. Look at the torsion bars see if they are seated in the lower arm tightly. Look for any worn areas..ie. no paint or raw warn metal. Look inside the engine compartment, give everything a tug to see it if is loose. Have someone get on their hands and knees while another pushes down on the front end to try to locate the popping noise.

It may take a few days, but you'll find it.

Could be a warn ball joint too. That is at the top of the spindle arm.

Sounds like radious arm bushings to me,I got a hellava chuck under my explorer on both sides when I hit bumps,potholes,hit the brakes a little hard,but i know what your prob is,RADIEOUS ARM BUSHING,Mine too.Take a peek bet i'm right.

M. johnson

p.s these don't look to hard to replace,but then again I'm not a certified mechanic.

How much is the bet? :)

Radius arm bushing haven't been used since the '94 Explorer. His is a '98. How much do I win?

Well I went to the Ford dealer this week and they said that my front u-joints are noisy. They say there is nothing wrong with them mechanically, just noisy. They offered to replace them for $390.00. They wanted $139.00 for each u-joint. I chose not to get it done because I've seen at Napa the front u-joints for $17.99. Plus I think they were just telling me something, anything just to respond. The noise is driving me nuts. I'll figure it out some day though.

Have you determined the cause of the noise yet? My '93 has the same symptoms. I replaced the lower ball joint and radius arm bushings, which did not help. The brakes have been replaced. The noise is infrequent, but annoying!

No I have not been able to determine the cause just yet. Since it mostly happens over bumps I've gone ahead and bought a new set of shocks and will be installing them this weekend. We'll see if that may be the cure. If not, at least the shocks didn't cost me too much and it was something that was going to be needed soon anyway. I'll let you know after I install them if it helps or not.

I've got the same problem with my '92. The worst is when I go over speed bumps in a parking lot. I gets worse if I lightly apply the brakes as I'm going over them. The klunking almost feels like it's comeing from under my feet on the drivers side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TODD92 - You have nailed it exactly what mine is doing. I changed the shocks but the noise is still present. I am setting up another appointment with the Ford dealer tomorrow since I complained about my first visit and they sent a letter asking me to bring it back free of charge. I hope we can find a solution this time. I'll update if I get any word.

Back