Fun with 2wd

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Hee Hee. I have no idea why I did not do this a long time ago!!!!!
I just fisnished off my switch panel so I figured I might as well do the Brown wire mod. What fun to have rear wheel drive again. I had to give the tires a few good squeels :D In fact to "test it out", I had to do one nice little power stand. A/t's are noisy when they are spinning ;)

For the switch panel I took a cheap easy route.
Somebody got me a console drink holder thing. Which was rather useless considering the stock drink holder is adequate. My solution was to turn it in to a control panel.

20122x-mas_2004_007.jpg

The switch panel is open underneath to allow for the 9 accessory switches, and the top was done in acrylic. The first open spot fits the radar detector well, and the area that is now for the drink cups will be smoothed out to mount the CB. Everything is secured using extreme velcro for ease of removal. Those little silver/grey things you see on the sides are blue LED's for floor lights when I drop stuff.

The panel itself cost nothing, but we got a little carried away with the wiring.
A hot terminal and ground have been run into the panel/console and have easy butt connectors to remove easily. The 9 accessories run to a seperate fuse box under the hood, where the relays are to actually flip on all the accessories.

Only 5 of the 9 switches are currently active. 2 more for lighting and 2 for the e-lockers. When we activate the other lines I think we are going to use computer ribbon to run the lines to the relay/fuse box. Therefore it will be nice and flat to run under the carpet. Currently there is a mess of wire running down from below the dash. That should disappear tomorrow night though, and be ran a lot cleaner. Just need more time in the day!!!!

Cool panel. Yeah we had some snow last week and I had fun doing donuts. The brown wire mod was the best mod I've done so far.

Nice, I actually used cat5 cable to run from my switch panel to the box i put all my relays and such in and it works well.

look cool persornally i would have used chrome toggle switches

Back