• Register Today It's free!

general questions on 02 explorer

kart_racer23

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge , La
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
well my first ownership of an explorer is an unfortunate my mother passed this week and i inherited hers , there a few problems with this truck , the door ajar light stays on no matter if all doors are shut , also the sunroof leaks , (aftermarket sunroof) , i also race karts and was actuallt thinking of buy a truck in the future so i could get a bigger trailer , i currently pull a 4x8 harbor frieght trailer with a 06 sentra , can one of these trucks handle something like a 6x12 enclosed trailer , this truck has the v6 4.0 i think with a factory tow package , if there is ant advise you guys could give as well i would really appriciate it thank you

Welcome... Sorry to hear about your mother :(

well my first ownership of an explorer is an unfortunate my mother passed this week and i inherited hers , there a few problems with this truck , the door ajar light stays on no matter if all doors are shut , also the sunroof leaks , (aftermarket sunroof) , i also race karts and was actuallt thinking of buy a truck in the future so i could get a bigger trailer , i currently pull a 4x8 harbor frieght trailer with a 06 sentra , can one of these trucks handle something like a 6x12 enclosed trailer , this truck has the v6 4.0 i think with a factory tow package , if there is ant advise you guys could give as well i would really appriciate it thank you

Sorry to hear about how you got the truck. What it will tow depends on the weight of the trailer not its size. I seem to recall that it will tow something like 6800 pounds max - including cargo weight in the truck. You can google tow weights for that specific vehicle.

Check the rear hatch window for the door ajar message. I get it once in awhile on my '02 and opening the back glass and shutting it again makes it go away. I don't think the switch in the hatch window is located very well.

I'd have a body shop look at the aftermarket sunroof leak before the water intrusion causes too much more damage.

Open the sun roof and make sure all the seals a clean and there is no junk or dirt stuck in any areas around the seal and tracks.

Back