Greetings / Towing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greetings / Towing Question

Theircommited10

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive been browsing on here and finally decided to make a post. I am new to explorers and you guys seem to be very insiteful. I have an 06' explorer XLT with a V8 and a towing package.

My question is this. How will it do pulling a lightly loaded 6x12 or 6x14 enclosed trailer. Is there any difference in single or double axle issues with towing? How many miles per gallon are you getting? Highway? Anybody taking off road towing through dry grain fields?

Thanks in advance!! I am fairly new to explorers and again you guys seem very knowledgable. Appreciate any imput.

Gary

I tow an 8x12 covered aluminum trailer with 2 snowmobiles (500-600 lbs each) in it with my 06 V8 Explorer. It does fine but unless you are on really flat ground and there is minimal wind you have to knock it out of over drive. It has plenty of power for the trailer. If you are going 6x12 or 14 you will be fine. The frontal area of that trailer is greatly reduced over mine and will give you less wind resistance.

I have an '06 Eddie with Tow package, and I purchased a '67 mustang with V8 Power steering, Disk Brakes for $100.00, I couldn't refuse the price. So what better time to test the towing capabilities of the new Explorer. I towed it on an open car carrier a little under 200 miles, from Yuma AZ, to Phoenix AZ. Truck tows like a champ, especially with the 6 speed trans.

Back