going broke and crazy...please help me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going broke and crazy...please help me

all8up

Reaction score
about 2 months ago i bought a 94 explorer limited with 66k miles. its been very well maintained and its a great truck, but (of course theres a but) its started giving me problems with being hard to start when hot. cold starts are not a problem, but if i drive it for more than 10 or 15 minutes and turn it off, it wont start again until its had time to cool. i had at the shop and they told me the problem was the emergency fuel cutoff valve under the dash. fixed that. same problem. took it back to the shop, this time they checked the fuel system pressure and it was fine, they then determined it was the camshaft sensor. fixed that, and all was great for about a week. now the problem is back and today a new twist has arisen. it died while at a stop light. it restarted again after cooling like always but im at a loss as what to do now. please tell me this is a normal and common problem and what i need to do to fix it before i go insane!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to check ignition components. Some of them can get hot when in use and maybe one is close to failing and it has to cool down to function properly and start the engine. Although not the same as your Explorer, my '89 Mustang did the same thing. Would not start when the engine was warm. It was an ignition component located on the distributor that became heat sensitive.

Also, find yourself a mechanic that doesn't have to play wack-a-mole to fix a problem.

Try the relays under the hood that should take care of your problem. napa auto sells relay tester kit they come with 5 common used relays. easy to use to find the faulty relay. it is about $75 to $80 ,but it works just about any vehical with common relays. good luck and let me know wat happens. :salute:

im no mechanic, but im able to do a lot of the work on my vehicles myself, but this one had me stumped. i have no way to check some of the things suggested here myself and i have no ability or confidence in myself when it comes to electrical or computer related issues, so i took the info that maddog392009 gave me along with the truck back to the shop and had him start with the relays under the hood. it turns out the power relay was bad. a $25 part that he replaced for me for nothing since his first couple attempts didnt fix my problem. its been a couple days and so far so good. initially after driving away from the shop it was running rough but it has since smoothed out and now is running great and starts every time, hot or cold. my fingers are crossed that this mystery has been solved and ive got more than a few good years with this otherwise great truck. thanks a million maddog!

Back