• Register Today It's free!

Headliner removal

goodxx

Reaction score
City, State
Pinckney, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mountaineer
I have a 09 mountaineer that I have to remove my headliner because my sunroof spider webbed one day. Im trying to get as much done to it before my glass arrives. So I took off visors, A-pillars, & already Im stuck on the overhead console. How do I get it out? I thought it was attached to headliner & would come out with headliner but there is no movement in the headliner when I try to pull down on it (by rearview mirror). I've tried to search on here but no one seems to have had this problem for this generation of mountaineer/explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It just snaps in place. Grab it firmly and pull straight down. It's fairly robust, so there's not a lot to worry about.

I've had mine down to put in LED bulbs. (worth doing, BTW)..

I dont know if the moonroof version is different but mine was held in with a bolt or 2 and then snapped in place with clips.... the difference is yours probably doesn't have the 2 compartments

Yeah, the moonroof overhead consolette thingamajig simply snaps down and off. There is of course the wiring for the lighting...

thanks for the replies everyone. but in the end I took it to safelight. they told me they didn't have to pull the headliner. the glass is held in with 4 bolts that attach it to the tracks. they did it in about 1/2 hour.

Back