HELP! Explorer Jerking hard right. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Explorer Jerking hard right.

d.cheverie

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer sport
So this problem is completely intermittent. Doesnt happen often and it hasnt happened in a few months, but now its starting again. While im driving down the highway the wheel will start to jerk slightly to the right, jerking harder and harder until its difficult to drive in a straight line. Last time it happened i pulled over, turned the wheels lock to lock trying to figure out the problem, couldn't see anything, so got back in to get off the highway and the problem was gone! Didnt happen again for a few weeks,then it happened again. Now its doing it, but not hard enough that i would have to pull over, can just feel the wheel jerk right a few times every few minutes. I cant figure this one out. Somone said it might be a malfunctioning ABS sensor on the passenger side front wheel, true?
If thats true, should i be able to pull the ABS fuse until i can get it fixed?
PLEASE HELP
I drive a 99 explorer sport 4wd if that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the wheel bearings and the brakes. You could have a caliper hanging up on or a bearing that's binding up. It could also be in the differential.

Does it happen when you braking or just crusing? If it's happening while your crusing, then it's got nothing to do with the ABS system as that's only active when your braking.

I agree with My98nnj, but would also get under there and grab hold of your front driveshaft and give it a shake. It shouldn't move much and could give the feeling of pulling to one side or another.
Next to check would be the CV's. Any noises associated with this "jerking" motion?
Any noises (clicking, groaning, clunking) when turning hard left or right at slow speeds?
Have you tried just turning the wheel left to right, lock to lock with the powersteering resevoir cap off and watch for air bubbles? Check the fluid level afterwards. Check the screen in the resevoir as well, probably could use a good cleaning, although it may not be your problem, it cant hurt.

Also take a look at the right brake caliper, looking for dampness.
If it's leaking brake fluid, that would cause the pads
to grab on that side.....

there is a bit of a clunking noise but it almost sounds like its coming from the drivers side, I dont know. Ill try getting underneath and checking the axles and cv joints. Had the right side wheel bearing replaced, could it be the left side bearing going?

Yes, It could be the left side wheel hub going, but typically that sounds more like a light grinding noise/rumble. To check the cv/axles, you don't have to get under it, just turn the wheel to one side so you can see the rubber boots on the out bound area of the axle. Look for the telltale ring of grease flung out of the rubber boot as well as a compromised boot. A small tear in the boot is all it takes. If you do not find any evidence of that look at the front driveshaft end where it connects to the transfercase. But more like the area of the floor just above. If you see the telltale grease ring just above that area, its very likely your front driveshaft. Again, just a small tear in that rubber boot is all it would take.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: A clunk when going over a bump and "sloppy" feeling in the steering could be a ball joint or tierod end.

turns out it was the brakes on the passenger side. the inside brake pad was worn incredibly bad, BAAAAAD! I knew they needed doing, but not that bad. So its done now and the problem is gone.

Back