Help with first time brake job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with first time brake job

scudzilla66

Reaction score
Hi guys I just did my first brake job on my 1996 six liter explorer 4wd.

I replaced all four rotors and all the brake pads but when I went to drive it to check things out my right front was smoking and my left rear was alternating between grinding and squeaking.

With the left rear the noise tends to dissipate when I turn left or get up over 40mph.

When I changed out the pads I took out the caliper slides and greased them liberally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Couple of things to look at. When you put on the new rotors and pads you need to clean off and copperslip the hub face to make sure the rotor sits flat. Also as the new pads and rotoe is thicker than the old bits the piston will be depressed into the casing more and could be binding from corrosion or just dirt under the boot. Of course the new rotors may be warped from new so check runout.
Have you accidentally bent the dust shield plate?
Finally did you clean off the rotors with brake cleaner b4 fitting as they generally come coated in an oil film for anticorrosion during storage.

Edit: oh and on the grinding rear pull off the rotor again and check the e brake shoes

When I changed out the pads I took out the caliper slides and greased them liberally.
In my Haynes manual:
ford%20calipers.png

Back