HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer? | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer?

So I have been using my syystem for about a week now and my mileage has decreased I am wondering If I screwed something up because I would think it would have done nothing, not make anything decrease. Back to the drawing board:rolleyes:

also, can anyone please tell me how to T into the throttl body directly?? I have the 4.0 OHV and have just been running it to the intake right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have been using my syystem for about a week now and my mileage has decreased I am wondering If I screwed something up because I would think it would have done nothing, not make anything decrease. Back to the drawing board:rolleyes:

Please describe your exact system. What electrolyte are you using? Concentration? Are you adjustimg MAF or O2 signal? Do you use a PWM? Where do you have HHO entering your motor?

also, can anyone please tell me how to T into the throttl body directly?? I have the 4.0 OHV and have just been running it to the intake right now.

No need to go into TB. Just inject HHO in the intake tube after the MAF.

Find a high vacuum source to pull in the gas, higher vacuum is better than a low vacuum location like near the MAF(before TB). Insert the inlet hose in the intake manifold(vacuum), not in the air cleaner or inlet hose(before the throttle body). The most vacuum is always in the intake manifold, not the air cleaner.

ah once again i meant intake manifold, i gotta stop doing that. Anyway I am using distilled water and baking soda at the moment. I will be using KOH once I get back to school in a few weeks. I have stainless steel (316) set up in -n n n + n n n - configuration. I have the HHO entering right before the throttle body into the intake tube.

Can I T into the PVC tube as a high vacuum line? Thanks.

Sure you can T into any vacuum ine ( except power brakes ).

The inlet in the intake tube in front of TB is idea for all use above idle.

Have you done anything to "trick" the MAF or O2 sensor signal?

Sure you can T into any vacuum ine ( except power brakes ).

The inlet in the intake tube in front of TB is idea for all use above idle.

Have you done anything to "trick" the MAF or O2 sensor signal?

I have not yet. I am starting to do some research on how to do that. That will be the next big issue unless you have some suggestions?

thank you for your help, i am going to invest in one of the maf enhancers and see how it does

Aldive make sure to post up results after testing O2 extenders. Im really curious on this.

Andy- I believe KOH in place of baking soda will yield you much better results. Also- if you do not trick your O2's/MAF, then your system will just dump more fuel in the motor and run rich.

CDW- You are saying to run the outlet from the generator into the intake manifold and not the intake tube itself? Aldive- where are you running yours? I always read to connect it to the intake tube.

The intake manifold itself will have the highest vacuum, the 15-20 inches of mercury you measure typically. That will pull in the most HHO gases, the inlet hose and from the MAF to the TB will have little vacuum with low throttle, but good flow at high rpm. I personally don't see any reason to be concerned about the HHO affect at any high throttle settings.

Therefore at any rpm that the HHO can be useful for, the intake(manifold) is the best place to connect the HHO tube. I have not read any of the other sites detailed HHO writings, I don't know what others are trying to do by tapping into the inlet hose before the TB.

O2 Sensors and Water As Gas Devices

Hello all to this post;
It is very interesting to read what everyone is doing. I am new to this forum,
and have actually installed an hho device in my 1996 Ford Ranger XLT. The first week I got improved mileage of about 18% increase. I was able to drive 80 miles on 2.5 gallons of gas. I actually installed two hho cells connected to each other where one fed into the other, and finally into the intake manifold.
Later, my mileage went back to the original readings. I called the company that I bought the kit from, and they told me to wrap the o2 sensors with aluminum foil to keep them heated. Now I'm not much of a mechanic, and I wasn't able to use his advise. I don't even know where to find the o2 sensors!! Does anyone know where they are, or what they look like? I was told also that my vehicle had 3 o2 sensors. Ford is different from other vehicles in that it uses the o2 sensors, instead of the MAP sensors.
I am in the process of building these kits, and just wanted to be more informed about the computer part of it.

Thanks,
Kenny Ingram

I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE HYDRO 4000 AND THEY SAY NOT TO USE THE BAKING SODA OR KOH THEY USE MINERAL WATER THEN ADD DISTILLED WATER ON TOP OF THAT. ITS IN THERE INSTALATION INSTRUCTIONS http://www.savefuelak.com/Installation.html HAS ANY ONE ELSE EVER TRIED USING MINERAL WATER AS AN ELECTROLITE? THEY ALSO COVER MY PREVOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE FREEZING OF THE WATER IN THE WINTER BY ADDING DENATURED ALCHOL.

Aldive make sure to post up results after testing O2 extenders. Im really curious on this.

Count on it,

You are saying to run the outlet from the generator into the intake manifold and not the intake tube itself?

CDW where are you connecting yours?

Aldive- where are you running yours?

To the intake tube just before the TB and for low speed/idle, to an intake vacuum line.

To the intake tube just before the TB and for low speed/idle, to an intake vacuum line.

Why Al, the intake provides more suction than the inlet tube at all times when the HHO may be useful?

O2 sensor locations.

Hello all to this post;
It is very interesting to read what everyone is doing. I am new to this forum,
and have actually installed an hho device in my 1996 Ford Ranger XLT. The first week I got improved mileage of about 18% increase. I was able to drive 80 miles on 2.5 gallons of gas. I actually installed two hho cells connected to each other where one fed into the other, and finally into the intake manifold.
Later, my mileage went back to the original readings. I called the company that I bought the kit from, and they told me to wrap the o2 sensors with aluminum foil to keep them heated. Now I'm not much of a mechanic, and I wasn't able to use his advise. I don't even know where to find the o2 sensors!! Does anyone know where they are, or what they look like? I was told also that my vehicle had 3 o2 sensors. Ford is different from other vehicles in that it uses the o2 sensors, instead of the MAP sensors.
I am in the process of building these kits, and just wanted to be more informed about the computer part of it.

Thanks,
Kenny Ingram

Answer:

They are located on the exhaust on each side under the truck. There should be at least 2 of them, they look abit like a sparkplug (with a wire harness) connected into the exhaust before the cats.

Anybody heard anything about using mineral water with distilled water as the electrolite like they do on the hydro 4000?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O2 sensor enhancer and wire colors

I am in the process of adding an oxygen sensor enhansor to gain greater control over my oxygen sensors as it looks like many of you are too. I have a 2003 Ford Ranger with two oxygen sensors. Each sensor has four wires. I need to locate the wire sending the signal to the PCM. I am having problems interpreting the wiring diagram in my chilton book.

Each sensor has a lightblue/orange wire coming from the hot run supplying power, so it's not that one. Those connect to a heating element and on sensor 1 come out as a red/white wire connecting to port 93 on the PCM and on sensor 2 comes out as a red/lightgreen wire connecting to port 94 on the PCM

Each sensor has an additional loop. Sensor 1 has a gray/light blue wire that connects to port 60 and an orange wire that is spliced to several other things including sensor 2 and just about everything else on the line. Sensor 2 has a red/lightgreen wire connecting to port 35 with a similar orange wire coming out on that loop.

Supposedly I can test each wire looking for the one with very low fluctuating voltage. If anyone knows which wire I need, or has already done this, it would be a great help to me.
Thanks,
Mark

Back