Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How long can i last?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Ford_Nova, January 21, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Ford_Nova

Ford_Nova Active Member

City, State:
    Nashville, TN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 Eddie Bauer
    Ok, so ive got the 4.0 with the death rattle. No big deal right? Ive read on here that people have gone 20k plus miles on it with no troubles at all. At idle it sounds somewhat like a diesel and at highway speeds sounds like im dragging a tin can full of rocks. If i need to i can try to upload a video of what it sounds like. Id like to be able to drive it home and back, but thats a 500 mile drive, and i dont want to get stuck in the middle of no where at midnight. Im going to try to swap the 5.0 into it so i dont really want to spend $600 fixing an engine that im soon going to be taking out.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Albany, NY
    96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
    Are you lucky with women and money? I also knew cases of people going a few years with that, and others who had total failure within a week of hearing the noise.

If you do the 5.0L, will need a new trans, wiring harnesses, and PCM. You should find a donor vehicle.

4. Ford_Nova

Ford_Nova Active Member

City, State:
    Nashville, TN
    '97 Eddie Bauer
    I dont know if youve noticed the avatar but thats the donor vehicle. The 5.0 runs fine, trans is fine. Everything on it works good, but i have a diamond in the frame and the front is swayed 2 inches to the left. Im still able to actually drive it but opt not to drive it more than from the parking lot to the shop which is about 2 block away.

i start shop today and will have to see if they will actually let me do the swap. They will let me pull the frame and do all that frame work and all that, but its doubtful about the swap.

5. 1998explodersprt

1998explodersprt New Member

City, State:
    CA
    98 explorer sport 2wd
    my noise started at about 95k miles (or so), im at 193k now with the same noise. take it for what its worth.

6. Ford_Nova

Ford_Nova Active Member

City, State:
    Nashville, TN
    '97 Eddie Bauer
    I hope im able to drive it. But like 96eb96 said, i dont have good luck. Ill probably get out on I24 and itll crap out on me.

7. omgyouresexy

omgyouresexy New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    '99 Eddie Bauer
    fwiw, if you are able to get a video or audio of what it sounds like from inside the car while driving. I'm interested in knowing what to look out for on mine so i can address it before it becomes serious...

or is this something you couldn't miss?

8. Trefty

Trefty New Member

99 XLS
    I'm curious too. I'm pretty sure I have the death rattle at around 2500 rpms, but I'm not 100% sure.

9. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Albany, NY
    96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
    sounds something like a diesel idling. You would have to be deaf to miss it from a cold start.

10. omgyouresexy

omgyouresexy New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    '99 Eddie Bauer
    Haha, alright. See, I just got my 99 Ex and reading that thread about the Death Rattle made me think my engine was going to collapse after about 1000 miles, though my engine sounds nothing like that.

11. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Albany, NY
    96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
    The dealer I bought my ex from said he leaves a note with every SOHC sold to use royal purple 5W30 oil. He claims it COULD put off the inevitable. He said lots of damage happens from cold starts and oil starvation(his opinion). Also, you can go a bit longer with that stuff so it may be worth it.

12. Togman

Togman Member

City, State:
    Va Beach
    2000 XLT 4x4
    Mine rattles, but I let off the gas till it stops, but I drive in flat lands too, so that helps. I hope to get it fixed week after next.