how to? gear oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to? gear oil?

Reaction score
City, State
north texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all. Its getting close to time to change my 04 explorers rear end oil and im thinking of doing it myself this time.
The car has 130k miles on it now and the last time it was changed was at 90k at the dealer. They used 75/140 and replaced the axle seals because they were leaking.

Anyway I took a look at it and im not sure how to gi about it. This rearend is much different than the old solid axles. It has a large plug on the bottom and a smaller plug above it. Seems like you would drain from the large plug and refill in the smaller one.....except the 3/8 plug seems kinda low to me. Both plugs are in the rear cover.

So before I mess something up, is the smaller plug for refilling? I only ask because it just seems too low to be able to allow refilling to the proper level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20130206_132900_zps0eb5c6de.jpg

Heres a pic of the rear so you can see the plugs im talking about. The unit is extremely dirty, maybe from the previous leak or maybe it has a new one. I need to at least check the fluid level to make sure.

So do you fill it to the level of the top plug?

The top plug is a ½" fill and the bottom is a ¾" drain. It takes just under 2 quarts of oil, plus friction modifier if you have a limited-slip differential.

Seems like the further I look into this, the worst it gets.
30k miles ago I had the fluid changed and the axle seals replaced at the dealer. They used 75/140. Fords msr says to fill it with the thicker fluid til it runs out and then add another pint threw the abs senser hole in the top of the housing.

So I know they made better axles seals and spec a heavier fluid and over filling it. That, along with all the stories on the web about these rearends failing makes me think there is a larger issue that ford is trying to compensate for.

I also noticed its leaking again. It looks to be from the pinion seal. I read the write up and I find it lacking in torque specs for the pinion nut, which preloads the crush sleeve. So I figure its better to drop it back off at the Dealer than just guess at it. I will be dropping it off next week and having them replace the seal, change the fluid and check the vent system along with about a million questions.

Back