Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

I finally did the 4.6L V8 spark plugs!!

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by explorer1007, December 2, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. explorer1007

explorer1007 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    07 explorer
    Hey guys, I just want to post about my experience about doing the spark plugs on my 2007 V8.
    I have dreaded to do this because of the possibility of broken spark plugs.
    I had dealership do it back in 2012 when the car had 86k miles.
    I was going to let dealership do it again but they wanted to charge me $500 plus $75 for engine cleaning.
    Even the local mechanic shop that I been going to the past 5 years wanted $600 for it...they smiled at me when they heard that I have the 4.6L V8... The lady told me it should not break since I had it done back in 2012.

It is still outrageous to spend that much for silly spark plugs job so I decided to do it myself.
    It took me around 3 hours to do them. I used Motorcraft plugs and new ignition coil..for a total of $350 plus the plug extraction tool for $60 just in case...

I used seafoam in gas tank three times (over a month and half period) prior doing the job...
    FordTechMakuloco has a video of using impact wrench to remove the plugs.
    It worked well. Here the link to the video.

The only problem I had is the plug right in front of the passenger side. I used regular wrench instead of impact since it didn't have enough space for it.
    Everything went fairly smoothly..one other issues I had are the wires connecting the ignition coils..I had to remove those brownish colored socket in a couple places to gain clearance. The tabs broke...I still put them back and they seemed OK....but they are not 100% secured. Is there a replacement for it? Or I can just leave them be? I can post a picture if needed.

Thanks guys.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    Congrats - feels good doesn't it. I did mine at 75K and didn't break a single one. Like you, I bought the tool just in case. I think that may be the tool with the worse sales to use ratio. How many people have bought it and never used it?
    As for your connectors, if you can get a cable tie in there you might do that. I think you would probably have to replace the harness otherwise. Let it run - if you get a misfire you know where to look.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zorin

Zorin Member

City, State:
    Milton, KS
    2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    • Like Like x 1
  5. beauboy

beauboy Active Member

City, State:
    Jacksonville, FL
    2007 Ford Explorer LTD
    I did mine at 100,000. Followed all of the recommendations on this site and the whole process took me 1.5 hours. I soaked each plug socket with PB Blaster, let it sit for 1 hour, then used a long extension and gently broke the seal on each plug. One of the easiest, although nerve-wracking, jobs I've done on my '07 Ex.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidmmm69

davidmmm69 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    Spark plugs on my mountaineer 4.6 were the easiest spark plugs I have ever changed in all my 30 years of messing with engines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    The 4.6 in your Mountie is different from our 4.6s.
    Have you ever looked at the spark plugs on the 3v Tritons ?

Last edited: January 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MNgopher

MNgopher Active Member

City, State:
    Lakeville, MN
    '07 XLT V8
    Replacement pigtails are available for the coils. Just went through that on a coil replacement. Suggestion: Buy the pigtails online - they are a lot cheaper. I was in a bind, so paid $18 for one at Advance (after a 20% coupon). Other retailers were similar. Same part at Rock Auto was around $5.

9. explorer1007

explorer1007 Member

07 explorer
    I havnt replaced the pigtails yet. They seem to be fine atm. Thanks.

10. aboyfromkansas

aboyfromkansas New Member

City, State:
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    2006 Ford Explorer
    Whatever you do, do not buy replacement pigtail connectors at the dealer. I recently replaced a two wire connector for the fuel injector on 3.8 2001 Mustang and local dealer wanted 46.00 for one plug. I bought two of them on Ebay for 6.00. As suggested, 8 connectors on Amazon is a better deal. I changed my plugs a while back on my 06 Explorer 4.6 without breaking a plug. But I turned each plug about a quarter of a turn and soaked them overnight with PB blaster. Next day changed all plugs by rotating the plugs slowly back and forth until I could remove them. If the plugs are the older Motorcraft three piece plugs, There is a greater chance of them breaking. Be sure when replacing plugs to get the

OEM NEW Motorcraft Spark Plug SP547 Ford 4.6L 3V - Ford Updated Design PZK1F

• Like Like x 1