• Register Today It's free!

Inside left tire spinning

roverz

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
Ok I want to try to understand a recent offroading situation that i got into and how i could have gotten out of it easier.

Vehicle: Stock 2000 EB SOHC, 2" TT, AWD assume a Viscous Coupling 4405 I think. 100k mileage

Background: Went 4x4 on a very rainy weekend with lots of slick mud and had to turn around on a decent when the angle and slickness got a little too much. While turning around i had a hard time getting my EB 2000 to clear a burm that was on a left hand uphill turn. I could get the two front tires on top of the slick burm but the RH rear was uphill and the LH rear started spinning freely. We went back and forth multiple times trying to get both rear's a little more stable and level and also trying to get a bit of a run from some folliage before the tires hit the mud, also used some boards and finally got up and over and out of there.

Questions:
1. Would all of the power go to the LH rear free spinning tire, since i am sure the posi clutches are worn out?
2. Does the Viscous coupling send any power forward if one of the rears is spinning?
3. What other methods ways should i have tried?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it has the AWD shift button "Auto, 4H, 4L"

Yes it has the AWD shift button "Auto, 4H, 4L"

You have CONTROL TRAC not AWD. They are different. As Turdle sated AWD was only in 5.0 equiped Explorers & mountaineers.

were either of your front tires spinning? if not then i am with Turdle and assuming something TC related. Remember, you have an open differential in the front, and if the trac-loc in the rear is worn out then thats an open diff too. With an open diff power goes to the least resistance, the wheel with the least traction.
Posted via Mobile Device

check your axle code, it sounds like you have an open diff

I am pretty sure the Rear if i remember is the D4 Posi 3.73 gears.

Assuming that i do have a trac lok rear that is worn if that downhill low side tire started to lose traction would the viscous TC continue to send the majority of the power to the rear and the worn Trac lok would send the power to the spinning tire?

Assuming that i do have a trac lok rear that is worn if that downhill low side tire started to lose traction would the viscous TC continue to send the majority of the power to the rear and the worn Trac lok would send the power to the spinning tire?

Yes it would. You would have one wheel spinning in the front and one in the rear. Fortunately, if it's only a worn trac-lock, they're pretty easy to rebuild.

there is no viscous anything in your drivetrain. Its a chain driven transfer case, like any other. when its in either 4hi or lo the power is split evenly front and rear. and with open diffs it goes to the path of least resistance, so if you have 2 tires planted and 2 on loose mud the tires in the mud will get all the power, and you'll sit there spinning.
Posted via Mobile Device

there is no viscous anything in your drivetrain. Its a chain driven transfer case, like any other. when its in either 4hi or lo the power is split evenly front and rear. and with open diffs it goes to the path of least resistance, so if you have 2 tires planted and 2 on loose mud the tires in the mud will get all the power, and you'll sit there spinning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Control trac is not chain driven. It's an electromagnetic clutched transfer case. In auto mode it transfers power back and forth (front to back) as necessary due to traction conditions and in varying percentages.

For auto yes, when its in 4hi or lo though it acts like any other transfer case though right?
Posted via Mobile Device

For auto yes, when its in 4hi or lo though it acts like any other transfer case though right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Unless there are issues. The electromagnetic clutch locks up. If the clutch burns out, it will slip.

so is it normal to have the rear right and left front spinning? or would this indicate a worn out trac lock? i had this problem the other day. it doesnt make sense to me to give the power to the least resisting tires. whats the point of 4WD then? i understand thats how they're supposed to work but that doesnt make sense.

thanks

Any way to test the transfer case and diff clutch packs?

so is it normal to have the rear right and left front spinning? or would this indicate a worn out trac lock? i had this problem the other day. it doesnt make sense to me to give the power to the least resisting tires. whats the point of 4WD then? i understand thats how they're supposed to work but that doesnt make sense.

thanks

If you have open differentials, the vehicle will send the power to the wheel with the least resistance on each axle. That's how open differentials work. Most vehicles labeled "4WD" really only power one wheel on each axle at a time. If you have a limited slip or locker in one axle, then you have 3 wheel drive. If you have lockers in both axles, then you have true 4 wheel drive.

The drawback to locked axles is cornering. When an axle is locked, the outer wheel cannot turn faster than the inner wheel when cornering, and something has to give. Either a wheel slides, or you break parts. This is true even in 2wd with a locked axle. Without the locked axle, the differential allows one wheel to rotate faster than the other, so no binding occurs.

When you have a 4x4 with open axles cornering, you will still get the binding. Because the system has to allow something to rotate faster when cornering, and everything is connected, a wheel hops when you corner.

Any way to test the transfer case and diff clutch packs?

The clutch packs are easy. Jack the rear of the vehicle off the ground (with the vehicle turned off), put the vehicle in neutral and rotate one tire by hand. The opposite wheel should go the same direction. put one of the wheels back on the ground and try to rotate the wheel that's off the ground. There should be considerable resistance. If, with both wheels off the ground, one wheel goes forwards and the other goes backwards or doesn't rotate, the clutch pack is shot. If with one wheel on the ground, there is limited resistance to turning, the clutch pack is shot.

Not sure on the best way to test the transfer case. I've always done it in snow or dirt to see if at least one wheel on each axle spins when I get on the gas.

Not sure on the best way to test the transfer case. I've always done it in snow or dirt to see if at least one wheel on each axle spins when I get on the gas.

You can put it on jackstand so all 4 wheels are off the ground, and test it that way. Not exactly the safest method though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I did confirm tonight that i have a
Axel D2 which i think is the 4.10 L
and Trans D = 5r44

Is that correct?

So if my back left rear was spinning and a front tire was not spinning then that would imply that i have a limitied slip that is worn out and possible something wrong with my transfer case?

Back