Is it the DS CV or the TC making that noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it the DS CV or the TC making that noise?

rhinodep

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
Hi-

I've read dozens of previous threads that I think have helped me narrow down a problem I'm having. I get a loud clicking noise from under my '97 Explorer AWD whenever I take off from a stop. The threads I've read lead me to believe it's the front driveshaft CV joint where it meets the transfer case. I think this because there is a lot of play at the TC end when I shake the driveshaft. I understand I'm looking at replacing the entire shaft. My question is, how do I know if the TC is operating properly, and was not the cause of the CV going bad? Is there an operational test I can perform on the TC while the shaft is off? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm kind of in that grey area when it comes to repairs. Experienced enough to follow directions but not enough to make my own way. Thanks!

Sorry, this was my first attempt at posting, and I did it in the wrong forum. Tried to delete it but can't. will repost in correct forum.

Back