it runs great, but i just cant start it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

it runs great, but i just cant start it

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
i drove to the store and bought an oil filter. when i came out, i tried to start my explorer. i turned the key and it just made a click sound. the battery is fine. i checked the terminals and they are clean too. i tried a few more times, but it wouldnt start.
finally i let it roll backwards out of the parking spot and i popped the clutch. it started right up and ran fine. when i got it home and turned it off. i tried turning the key again. still just a click. what is wrong with my explorer? i cant keep popping the clutch to start it. because of my back i cant push it. luckily the parking spot was on a hill so it rolled. i'm just glad my explorer is a manual and not an automatic or i would've had to pay for a tow.

does anyone know what might be wrong and how i can fix it? nothing like this has ever happened to me before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's the starting system :)

Seems it's either the starter itself or the soleniod built into the starter (which means replace the starter too). I don't suspect the battery cables cause you're an audio guy and know wires. However, your battery cables could be dying. There also is a possibility that the upper starter soleniod is failing.

Here's a trick that may work to start it and help find the problem: The fender mounted starter soleniod has 2 large posts and one small one. Put the key to on and I guess the tranny in N (I don't drive a stick). Then jumper the 2 large posts on the soleniod with a metal tool with an insulated handle. This will either bypass a bad fender soleniod or send more juice than normal to the failing starter.

Yep! Sound like the starter.

Happened to me but luckily I was at home so I didnt need a tow. Gurantee its a starter.

did your ex start up hard before this?

just wondering if my starter is going ....each morning my truck won't start on the first turn, then starts right up on the second turn....strange.
only happens when it sits for more than 3 hours

eliteconcept,
does the starter not engage at all then, or does the motor not catch?

thanks guys.
this sucks, is it easy to change the starter? and where is it anyway? i changed the starter solenoid because it was easy to get to (right next to the battery), and that didnt help at all. the strange thing was that there were no hard starts at all before this.

As Alec said earlier, you might wanna check the cable resistance from the starter to the battery before you replace the starter. There is a know issue with corrosion in the cable end (unless you have replaced that cable).

Changing the starter is easy. Takes less than an hour, and is made easier if you have ramps or a jackstand. Just disconnect the battery cables, go under the driver's side of the vehicle where the engine bolts to the tranny, and it's right there. If I remember correctly, it's held in with 3 15mm bolts. You just disconnect the cables from the starter and remove the bolts, and it comes right out.

thanks jeff. i have ramps, so it looks like this will be easy. the cables are fine, they are about a year old. so i guess i have to spend the $150 for a starter:mad: .
oh well, i cant complain. 160K miles and this is the first thing to go wrong.

Built Ford Tough!

is there a neutral safety switch on a manual? cuz if there is then that was what happenned to my auto. after i replaced both the solenoid and relay.

There is a switch on the top of the clutch pedal, but you wouldn't get a click if it were malfunctioning. A quick way to test it is get out on the highway, put the cruise control on, and then depress the clutch. If the cruise disengages, it's working. You will see an rpm blip when you first push the clutch in, but it should then drop off as the cruise disengages.

my switch was on the transmission. it wasn't tightened enough after mt new tranny was put in. as soon as it was tightened it worked just fine. i guess they can get loose

Lee

I had this problem awhile back on mine. Shorting the solenoid on the passenger's fender like Alec suggested did the trick and I've never seen the problem again.

Elite

Sounds like you've got a different problem, possibly the check valve in the fuel pump. I did a write-up on fuel system diagnostics about a month or two ago. Do a search for my username and the words "check valve," "fuel system diagnosis," "FPR," or something similar and you should find it.

Mike

damn my luck
not only one possiblity, it could be one of many!

damn truck hheehehe

Back