• Register Today It's free!

KKM vs. K&N

4X4Tribal

Reaction score
City, State
South Yarmouth, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Which is better: a KKM true rev system or K&N FPIK system? I don't care baout the money, I just want more HP and I want the loudest growl possible from an intake upgrade. Also, the KKM doesn't come with a modified air intake tube like the K&N does...do people find that that really makes a difference in sound or HP? Thanks. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not 100% sure, but i belive that the K&N although more money, would provide you with the same gains in Throttle Response and Power and Gas Mileage as the KKM, but i think with the custom tube it will make more intake growl.

My freind has a Honda Prelude with a K&N 3 inch filter with a nice 2.5 inch custom tube and it is louder (although more of an angry hornets nest noise then a growl lol) than some cars with exhaust when you lay into the pedal. Just a thought..

Performance and mileage wise, they are equal. Based on that I would recommend the less expensive KKM.

Since money is no object then get K&N coz it looks nicer with that shiny tube. Performance wise, they both will do the job. If there is a difference I doubt you will even notice it.

I tried looking for the KKM vs K&N poll for ya but I can't find it.

If money is no object, go Volant. ;)

Isn't there also the emission legality issue? K&N is 50 state legal and KKM isn't, I think.

Here's a classic debate :D

K&N is carb certified
K&N is prettier
K&N is expensive

KKM is cheaper
KKM is not carb certified
KKM has a better quality filter

All that aside they do the same thing for you performance wise, which to be honest, is not a lot unless the rest of your intake/exhaust systems are opened up already. They will deffinately sound mean, and provide a bit of throttle response though.

Personally I never noticed My K&N performance wise untill I installed a 2.5 inch cat back. Now I definately notice when I remove it to go to the dealer.

Money not a problem? Get both and compare for yourself. Save the other for back up.

Volant

I haven't heard of Volant before...I searched for it and found it to cost about $300...Is it really that much better than the other brands...what have your personal experiences been with it? I don't care if I have to wait and save up some extra money, I just want to get the best first because I'll end up upgrading eventually anyway. :exp:

Back