• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

LurchII

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
I just got to install my tune yesterday. I did notice quite a difference in the shifting, more pronounced, and held the gears longer. Part of this is the adaptive/learning transmission, and should get better over time. This was explained to me by them, and you can definitely tell. I did one hard run, and the butt Dyno liked the new tune. Once the transmission finishes the learning curve more runs to follow, and I'll followup. I have a local drag strip just up the road and will be able to get some real world numbers, when winter clears...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interested in your experience. I too just installed my Livernois tuner and can tell that the shifts are harder as they explained they would be. I've worked with Livernois before on a 2013 SHO w/ Perf Pack and a 2017 F150 Supercrew 4x4 w/ the 2.7 Ecoboost. The tuners really "woke them up." As you said, the butt dyno feels like it helped out and the first time I took off in Sport mode felt like it sure helped.

I'll throw my $0.02 in too when I have some more time behind the wheel.

^^ Welcome to the 6th Gen. Explorer Forum.:wave:
Looooong time between posts.:)

Peter

I recommend SSI. Waiting for my custom tune for my 2020 with the 2.3l ecoboost but my 2014 3.5NA was a lot better after a tune. Can't wait to get the new one. They usually beat livernois left and right.

Livernois also locks the device to your vehicle so selling it later is difficult.

Livernois also locks the device to your vehicle so selling it later is difficult.

Popped in to say the same. Livernois can help you revert back to stock tune. But I have read many hassles about their locked tunes over the years, so make sure you know what you are getting into (and if you can revert). Don't try to take your vehicle in for warranty work at the dealer with an aftermarket tune installed. The dealer can see if you flashed different tunes anyways, so there is no hiding.

I just got to install my tune yesterday. I did notice quite a difference in the shifting, more pronounced, and held the gears longer. Part of this is the adaptive/learning transmission, and should get better over time. This was explained to me by them, and you can definitely tell. I did one hard run, and the butt Dyno liked the new tune. Once the transmission finishes the learning curve more runs to follow, and I'll follow up. I have a local drag strip just up the road and will be able to get some real world numbers, when winter clears...
Good morning
Have the 94 octane daily street/tow tune in our 2020 ST
Used Livernois for my :
2011 F150 with 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Flex with 3.5LECOBOOST
2013 Taurus SHO with PP & 3.5LECOBOOST
2016 Explorer Sport with 3.5LECOBOOST
Livernois did not have a calibration for our 2018 Expedition so went to 5 Star May of 2018
Have used 5 star for
2018 EXPY with 3.5LECOBOOST
2018 F150 with 3.5LECOBOOST
2020 Explorer ST with 3.0LECOBOOST
Got $200.00 credit for my SCT X4 calibrator when traded in (Was used on our 2018 F150) for the N Gauge used on our ST
75 Years old & Lovin the calibration in our ST:):usa:

Popped in to say the same. Livernois can help you revert back to stock tune. But I have read many hassles about their locked tunes over the years, so make sure you know what you are getting into (and if you can revert). Don't try to take your vehicle in for warranty work at the dealer with an aftermarket tune installed. The dealer can see if you flashed different tunes anyways, so there is no hiding.

I I revert back to stock before taking it to the dealer they can tell?

Ford can. There really is no reason to revert back to stock. It wont affect anything regarding warranty other than on trans and engine issues. I never remove my tune on my f350.

The only exception is if they have to reflash something with an update. No need to be a sneak when they can tell you have been reprogramming the vehicle.

Good to know, thanks.

Good morning
Have the 94 octane daily street/tow tune in our 2020 ST
Used Livernois for my :
2011 F150 with 3.5L ECOBOOST
2013 Flex with 3.5LECOBOOST
2013 Taurus SHO with PP & 3.5LECOBOOST
2016 Explorer Sport with 3.5LECOBOOST
Livernois did not have a calibration for our 2018 Expedition so went to 5 Star May of 2018
Have used 5 star for
2018 EXPY with 3.5LECOBOOST
2018 F150 with 3.5LECOBOOST
2020 Explorer ST with 3.0LECOBOOST
Got $200.00 credit for my SCT X4 calibrator when traded in (Was used on our 2018 F150) for the N Gauge used on our ST
75 Years old & Lovin the calibration in our ST:):usa:

So since the Livernois hardware is locked to your vehicle how much did Livernois charge you each time you transferred the programmer to a new Ford vehicle?

Just to clarify your saying Livernois gave you a $200 credit on their hardware when you traded in a competitors (SCT) hardware?

I purchased a new programmer for each of the Livernois tuned vehicles
Due to software changes I was not able to use the previously purchased calibrator on the next vehicle
Due to software issues I had to purchase the N Gauge for the calibrations on my 2020 ST
The SCT X4 will work on some but not all of the ST's according to 5 star
The $200.00 credit was from 5 star for the SCT X4 unit I purchased from them when I tuned my 2018 F150
Sent it back to them after truck was reverted back to stock
Traded the F150 in for the ST

Due to software changes I was not able to use the previously purchased calibrator on the next vehicle
Due to software issues I had to purchase the N Gauge for the calibrations on my 2020 ST
The $200.00 credit was from 5 star for the SCT X4 unit I purchased from them when I tuned my 2018 F150

This is one of the biggest issues we ha e with Livernois. It is not "software" changes, they have straight out said the device is locked to the vehicle and csnt be unlocked. So basically you can never sell it to someone else to recoup some of the money when you sell or change vehicles.

This is what is great about the gauge and X4. When you return to stock, you can reuse it. The x4 allows you up to 5 vehicles before it will lock and has to be sent in for clearing.

All Livernois is doing is ensuring that you have to constantly buy a new programmer from them (which it worked on you).

After having the tune for a week the transmission has started to smooth out. The power is defiantly noticeable, without any hard numbers you can tell the power band has changed. For some detail's; at medium throttle the transmission holds the gear until the RPM reaches 2.5-3k. At 50-55MPH it will shift into 10 gear. When you are in "Sport" mode all bets are off, it really wakes up. I have a couple of safe roads, that it will surprise me how fast you can get up to speed!!! The drag strip opens up in March, I will be able to get some hard numbers, with and with out the tune. As unexpected bonus my gas mileage has increased by 2MPG from 18 to 20 in the city. I have not had a chance for a good Hwy check yet. Overall I am happy with my decision.
Jeff

There has been the question about whether the dealer can tell if you installed a tune? I will give you my $0.02, based on talking with my service manager, and my tuner. YES, the easiest way is the "number of starts since the last reset" When you re-flash back to stock, it re-sets your computer system. Example, you have 6,000 miles on your vehicle, but only 10 engine starts, it does not add up. There are other items that reset, Brake activation's, Power steering pump duty cycles, just to name a few. I found a good relationship with your dealer can go a long way.
Jeff

After having the tune for a week the transmission has started to smooth out. The power is defiantly noticeable, without any hard numbers you can tell the power band has changed. For some detail's; at medium throttle the transmission holds the gear until the RPM reaches 2.5-3k. At 50-55MPH it will shift into 10 gear. When you are in "Sport" mode all bets are off, it really wakes up. I have a couple of safe roads, that it will surprise me how fast you can get up to speed!!! The drag strip opens up in March, I will be able to get some hard numbers, with and with out the tune. As unexpected bonus my gas mileage has increased by 2MPG from 18 to 20 in the city. I have not had a chance for a good Hwy check yet. Overall I am happy with my decision.
Jeff

Good to hear the MPG increase. I have had my tune for just a short bit and agree it is a noticeable difference. I am pleased so far.

There has been the question about whether the dealer can tell if you installed a tune? I will give you my $0.02, based on talking with my service manager, and my tuner. YES, the easiest way is the "number of starts since the last reset" When you re-flash back to stock, it re-sets your computer system. Example, you have 6,000 miles on your vehicle, but only 10 engine starts, it does not add up. There are other items that reset, Brake activation's, Power steering pump duty cycles, just to name a few. I found a good relationship with your dealer can go a long way.
Jeff

Most data is normally pulled from the AirBag module, Law Enforcement can do this as well and its NOT wiped or ERASED. I have done this in cases of fatal Motor Vehicle Incidents. North American vehicles are usually done by the LE Agency because GM, Ford, Fiat Chrysler all provide their software to LE. It's the european car makes that make LE get a warrant to pull the airbag module. I have never looked to see if that data has the ability to identify how many times the vehicle has been flashed with new software.

I downloaded a free 1/4 drag app that was worthless, could only get 78% accuracy. It's not even worth posting the data. What the butt dyno told, is in sport mode between 3-6.5k RPM , with traction control off, it pulled hard, really hard. I was up to 60mph fast, and 110mph before I new it!!! I was not comfortable looking at anything but the road, (4 lane, 3 miles of straight). If this is any indication, March cannot come soon enough when the drag strip opens up!!!
Jeff

It can matter in one area. If there is an update to your ECU they will flash over your tune and that can cause issues. They can tell you have a tune but most do not care if it comes to the reflashing your computer. Happened to my 2008 Super Duty.
Worse part is they didn't tell me until I picked it up. It was just listed it on the service sheet.

If I would have known I would have stopped them from doing it. To this day I believe that is why I saw about a 2-3 MPG drop in my truck. Maybe it was Fords way of trying to get people to buy the new fancy diesel that was coming out. I would hope not but quite the coincidence and not the first time it has happened to V10 owners!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious, did you purchase the 60mo/60k mileage extended warranty coverage on the tuner ? Mike

Back