• Register Today It's free!

Lower intake/head gasket help

gravy

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger XLT 4.0V6 4X4
1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 XLT 4X4 186,000 miles.

I have a big leak going on and it appeared to be coming from in between the (Driver's side) head and the lower intake. Being my first time really tearing into an engine this deep, do any of you have any suggestions or tips for me?

If anyone has any links/ pdf files of Chilton's or any other diagrams, they can e-mail them to me at blueeyed_gent03@yahoo.com

I would really appreciate any help, the pics below show how far I am...

This is where it's leaking from

img0003j.jpg

A little closer

img0004xo.jpg

img0879n.jpg

img0903y.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gravy, I have done this job a few times, and it's not a big deal...pretty easy and straightforward actually, but time consuming, although I am slow and meticulous. You NEED a torque wrench. I used my haynes manual and it shows all of the torque sequences which must be followed. My least favorite part is always putting the valve covers back on, heh. I hate that part. Make sure your gasket surfaces are clean and don't gouge them with anything! I always use zip-loc bags and label everything.

factory gskt has rusted/rotted through. good experience for a first heavy line job. not real hard. make SURE you REPLACE the head bolts! my 2K was easier to pull the heads with the exhaust manifolds attached. you will probably have to remove the entire engine harness. you'll need a real good T-55 socket for the head bolts.

Thanks for the tips guys. Turns out it is just the lower intake gasket...thanks anyways TONY, but I'm not going that far...thank GOD!

problem is, from the looks of it you have cooling system cancer. other gaskets will fail in short order. i prefer to do the entire top end abd get it over with. bear in mind you'll throw away the intake gasket when you finally have to pull the heads. the head set is NOT CHEAP for these either.
lwr. intake is way easy. make yourself a set of studs to align the manifold when you drop it on so your gaskets don't shift. couple of bolts the proper length with the heads whacked off. throw away the end seals (if any) and use silicone.

Nice learning about here. The Lower Set Gasket is needed to be changed. Just to be sure, try to search for good gaskets around here in the internet or in your market area.

Back