Major Hesitation in initial accleration???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Hesitation in initial accleration????

mouayad00

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4X4
When I first acclerate my explorer hesitates for about 10 seconds but then it finally goes. However, if I gently press on the gas and keep it below 2 rpm until I reach 15mph. I can then acclerate as much as I want and no problems. I thought I might have gotten bad gas...so I filled up with premium and added dry gas but 20 miles driven later...same problem. Please help...Is this gonna break me for the holidays???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 145,000 miles and I've never had a tune-up. Could it be my spark plugs??

145k and no tuneup? Highly likely you need plugs, wires & a new fuel filter. Any of those could cause your problems. You might also want to consider cleaning the throttle body and the MAF.

I do hope you have changed fluids, filters, etc. along the line.....

mouayad00 said:
When I first acclerate my explorer hesitates for about 10 seconds but then it finally goes. However, if I gently press on the gas and keep it below 2 rpm until I reach 15mph. I can then acclerate as much as I want and no problems. I thought I might have gotten bad gas...so I filled up with premium and added dry gas but 20 miles driven later...same problem. Please help...Is this gonna break me for the holidays???

i belive i know what you are talking about

when ever i dont allow the truck to run for 15-20 seconds before i put it in drive and go, the rpms will hesitate, almost as if the engine stalls around 1800rpm, untill i release the petal

keeping in mind i am very conservative of the gas petal and dont alow it to get beyond 2k rpm

the tune up shouldent be expensive if you do it yourself try the plugs first and see what happens

Back