Might have f'ed up my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Might have f'ed up my explorer

2000 ford explorer ohv push rod.
Hasn't really been running right to begin with. Could barely make it up to 55 mph

Replaced plugs(drivers side engine bank. Spark plug gaps where over .1 inches)
Replaced wires
Crossed a wire(caught the cat on fire)
Got the wires set correctly
Welded a piece of exhaust back on(battery removed)
Replaced fuel filter

Where I'm at now. Starts like a new car. Engine revs smoothly through rpm range. Put the vehicle in either reverse or drive. The vehicle does move under it's own power on flat level ground. Any engine load and the engine starts stumbling ultimately stalling the engine.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first check the tranny fluid.
That is a quick and easy test.

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Possibly as simple as a clogged fuel filter

I'm assuming you gutted the cat?

I don't think I'd want just one cat, or the plugs changed on a single side. I'd correct those issues, and check the fuel pressure.

All plugs where replaced
Passenger side hydrocarbon cat is to difficult to get to to gut

Wonder if you messed up the wiring harness when you welded the cats? Maybe the fire cooked it? I think the transmission wires are around there.
Can you get some codes?

Muffler clogged from cat debris you missed?

Negative on the debris in the muffler. Used an inspection camera to verify cat was clear.

Replace the front cats. car won't run right without em.
Further discussion about helping with gutted cats will get this thread deleted. it's illegal.

It's also covered in the forum rules.

http://www.explorerforum.com/ef_rules.html

You can pull the front o2 sensors out of the exhaust or loosen collector bolts and drive to see if you have a blockage in the exhaust. Even though it may sound horrible if it revs up while your driving / drivabilty improves then your exhaust is your issue. I think your still plugged up somewhere.

After it's figured out you still need to have 1 cat per side minimum. MagnaFlow makes direct replacement converters with pipes for each one, they are reasonably priced too.

Only reason they got gutted is the cat overheated itself and went into meltdown. Pieces of the hydrocarbon cat where found downstream of itself.

At least two need replaced, regardless of what caused it.

Back