Muffler Guts

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
I've given up on inserting pictures and will use attachments.
The muffler is inserted in the line between the discharge side of the compressor and the condensor. According to an air conditioning website, the muffler "reduces noise and dampen line vibration."
Whatever, I always thought it was inline drier strainer.

Pic 1 shows muffler on high pressure line
Pic 2 is close-up
Pic 3 is inside - empty!

Attachments

• LP Fitting.JPG
    LP Fitting.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Muff1.JPG
    Muff1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Muff2.JPG
    Muff2.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 294

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I knew it was empty.... and also know is is downstream of the orifice screen and the Evap screen... yet have always felt the need to replace it on a fragged system rebuild. And that line isn't cheap. Is replacement overkill? I dunno, but as ever your pix are great and very worthwhile... thank you.

I wrote this: "And the muffler is between the discharge side of the EVAP and the compressor input...."

[EDIT]

I should delete this post, but on reflection will leave it, WRONG as it is...

I hate it when people misinform people here because they over-reach their knowledge and wing it. Maybe worse yet is when I establish some element of trust and faith and then screw up leaving pepole to believe I know and then misinform them. I try really hard to let folks know when I am unsure... BUT !! I screwed up here. Not because I did not know, but because I was lazy. I should have known better than to post that but was going on my aging and bad memory. HE is quite right and I am/was very wrong.

I apologize for the mis-info .... he knows whereof he speaks.

And to Shamaal, a warm thanks for the respectful rebuke in your PM .. instead of just calling me a dumb ass (which he had the right to do).

The muffler is in the line from the compressor to the condensor! :D

ps. In life.... it is easier for everyone and more graceful when you OWN your mistakes. I made a mistake. I own it. I apologize..

I replaced the line because there was a large gash on one of the crimp connections and I did not know what was in the muffler. If there was no gash and I knew it was empty I would have left it in place. I understand that the mineral oil from the previous R12 installation made it impermeable to R134a.

Regardless of the book description of the muffler I still don't know what it really does. There are enough rubber components in the hose to decouple vibration. I thought it might be a liquid trap to keep liquid poured in the HP service port from flowing back into the compressor, but it's upside down.

Its another one of those Ford mysteries.

I was told that the muffler was designed to reduce a putt putt, or vibrating, sound from the compressor. (which is reason enough I should have realized I was wrong before). The reality? I dunno. My biggest concern is that it can serve as a safe harbor for metal shards.

Glacier991 said:
In life.... it is easier for everyone and more graceful when you OWN your mistakes. I made a mistake. I own it. I apologize.[/SIZE].[/B]

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong. :D

FriendS!! You could not resist, could you ?

Back