New 2017 Sport - Intermittent Squeak/Chirp in Front End | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2017 Sport - Intermittent Squeak/Chirp in Front End

rlarsen462

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Well, I was hoping to make a more positive first post because I actually really love this vehicle, but I have had an issue with it since day one that the dealer just hasn't been able to resolve after 3 trips to the service department and about 3 weeks cumulative without the truck.

The issue is an intermittent squeak/chirp noise that comes from the front driver side when going over light washboard type bumps in the road, seemingly worse when slightly turning to the right and accelerating. It's extremely annoying and makes it feel like I'm driving a 80's pickup with 350,000 miles on it rather than a brand new $51K SUV.

The dealer has apparently replaced/check everything in the front suspension, and the latest trip to the dealer saw them delivering it to the body shop where they apparently tore apart the entire front fascia and fender assemblies and did some welding (!)...just got it back Friday and I thought it was fixed but after about 24 hours it's back exactly the same as it always was.

They are committed to fixing it and have been communicative and have provided rental vehicles for the 2nd and 3rd trips in, but I'm starting to get pretty frustrated as this is a lease and I've been without the vehicle quite a bit now (and obviously I'm going to have to bring it back yet again).

Has anyone ever experienced a similar issue? I tried searching and really couldn't find any cases like this on the newer vehicles. I appreciate any suggestions, I just want this fixed so I can continue to enjoy the Explorer, I love everything else about it.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you [positive the noise is outside of the vehicle. Since the suspension appears to have been eliminated perhaps it is something simple like an item that may be loose.
Intermittent problems are one of the hardest ones to track down. I'm sure that you are not the only one that's getting frustrated. Good luck.
BTW, I've edited the thread title.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you [positive the noise is outside of the vehicle. Since the suspension appears to have been eliminated perhaps it is something simple like an item that may be loose.
Intermittent problems are one of the hardest ones to track down. I'm sure that you are not the only one that's getting frustrated. Good luck.
BTW, I've edited the thread title.

Peter

They mic'd it up several times (according to them) and were certain it was a body weld/fitment issue under the fender last time. I mean, it certainly sounds to be in front of and to the left of the driver and really doesn't sound like it's in/under the dash inside the cab at all, but that's probably the next thing they'll have to look into. I'm sure they're having a hard time diagnosing it just because it's difficult to reliably make it repeat the noise. I think once you found a surface that did it, you could probably get it to do it over and over by driving the same road, but even then it seems to come and go. Truck has 3300 miles and has done it since about mile 200 I think.

It's definitely not the suspension or I think it'd be more repeatable. It's also temperature dependent it seems. It has to still be a body/frame issue at this point I'm guessing (assuming it's not in the dash as you suggest).

Back