Oil Change interval | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Cool, thanks for the info :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uh...I do have UOA knowledge. I've used Blackstone for years on piston airplanes I've owned, and I use it on my diesel VW Jetta. 10K and beyond with a good full synthetic and quality filter is more than acceptable on a modern vehicle. Educate yourself, already......

Please post one of your recent reports. For the VW. Thanks.

I took mine in at around 2000 Km's and they told me that they are pre-broken in now and to actually follow what the Oil life monitoring system says so i had my offficial first oil change at 13500 Km's. That still showed 15% oil life left but I was thinking it was long enough. I have 21k Km's now and still show about 45%.

I don't see the relevance of your request...
What value would an OA report for a diesel VW provide to a forum for Explorer owners? Or are you just trying to call him out?

Early intitial oil changes are a complete waste of time and money for those who choose to lease their vehicles and/or those who return/sell them around the time that the warranty expires.....

Just like OA report on old air-cooled Porsche will have no relevence in this discussion too.

Yes, only real benefit of extra early initial oil change on new cars today is the "feels good" factor.

Agreed, 10K miles or 1 year intervals (whatevers comes first) for normal driving on Mobil1 synthetic is fine. I have had no problems with my Lexus, Mercedes, water-cooled Porsches on these intervals and those manufacturers and corresponding dealer service departments support these intervals in 2012.

Bill #4 Explorer said:

E63458.jpg

Btw, post 2005 Porsche Boxters have a 20K, 2 year recommended interval.

When the Mobil 1 that's in it now reaches 10K, I'll have a UOA done.....I'll even pay the extra $$ for the TBN analysis......I'll post it here and end this uneducated "change early, change often" debate.

'O8 Porsche oil change interval is 15K miles/1 year again w/Mobil1.

I've learned from years of watching different boards that in the end motor oil is like politics and religion. Everyone has a different opinion.

I basically follow the oil life indicator with one exception, that is the first change. I will be changing my oil at the 5,000 mark. Here's my reasoning:
1. The quality of the oil from the factory is not fully synthetic. I really don't know what the quality of the oil is.
2. The initial break-in period is going to cause greater wear as the various moving parts mate to one another. Although the oil filter will trap the residue from the parts, I want to get a new filter on and might as well change the oil at the same time.

After that, unless driving in a dust storm, I will follow the indicator. In all my years of driving, I have yet to have any oil related failure in any engine. My last vehicle had over 90,000 miles and ran fine, was quiet, no engine noise. Interval change varied by the oil life indicator, but typically was around 18,000 miles.

Like so many things with our cars today, oil technology has changed for the better, the old 3,000 - 5,000 mark does not make sense today just as saying "roll down or up the window" when in reality it is a button that makes the window go up and down, but the phrase sticks and old habits endure time.

I have a friend that changes oil at 3,000, says it's cheap insurance. I asked if he is concerned that the oil is "worn" out at 3,000, what's it like at 2,800 miles? Why not change then? Analysis is the only real method to know.

I said to my grandson the other day, dial this number and he looked at me and asked, why do people say "dial" the number. Point made.

When the Mobil 1 that's in it now reaches 10K, I'll have a UOA done.....I'll even pay the extra $$ for the TBN analysis......I'll post it here and end this uneducated "change early, change often" debate.

One UOA will tell us very little, but it's a start. Thanks for offering to post the future report. The TBN info will be pretty useless too, unless you have a virgin sample tested as well.

Agreed, crap on internet about oil change intervals resembles discussions on politics.

Rolling down windows and dialing phones does remind one of just how outdated the assumptions are.

very little, pretty useless too

Wrong on both counts.

Blackstone already has VOA on Mobil 1 5W-20 for a baseline. It's not exactly an off-brand.

TBN will tell me what the useful life of the additive package is in the oil and how much is left at 10K based on the severity of service.

The UOA establishes a baseline of what the engine is doing internally. On a low power density engine like the 3.5L, it's not doing much internally, nor is it working hard in a non-towing environment like mine.

This is the only, fact based way of determining what intervals to use for OCs. Good replacement for: "it's getting dark, it smells burnt, it feels funny between my fingertips, I've always changed early, it's cheap insurance, 20 weight...oh that's too light, blah, blah, blah".

I've learned from years of watching different boards that in the end motor oil is like politics and religion. Everyone has a different opinion.

I basically follow the oil life indicator with one exception, that is the first change. I will be changing my oil at the 5,000 mark. Here's my reasoning:
1. The quality of the oil from the factory is not fully synthetic. I really don't know what the quality of the oil is.
2. The initial break-in period is going to cause greater wear as the various moving parts mate to one another. Although the oil filter will trap the residue from the parts, I want to get a new filter on and might as well change the oil at the same time.

My thoughts exactly.

The other question is, if they are indeed $48,000 vehicles that will drive someone to spit out expletives when the A-pillar rattles because someone just spent $48,000 on it, why not just let the guy change his oil when he wants. It's, what- $18 at my local dealer with a coupon. It's piece of mind whether it really does something or not.

$18 to make you feel good about your service decision on a $48,000 vehicle seems reasonable to me, without arguing for years and years now about whether changing oil early does anything. Why the constant need to argue that person A is wrong simply to validate the decision person B made is ridiculous IMHO.

Next, we'll be arguing as to whether you should slam a door shut, or close gently, so as not to wear the door strikers out too fast.

Joe Dirt, of course you should close them gently, for the very reason you stated. Also, it will help in preventing door rattles because you are not subjecting the door to violent jarring. I thought everybody knew that! :D

The other question is, if they are indeed $48,000 vehicles that will drive someone to spit out expletives when the A-pillar rattles because someone just spent $48,000 on it, why not just let the guy change his oil when he wants. It's, what- $18 at my local dealer with a coupon. It's piece of mind whether it really does something or not.

$18 to make you feel good about your service decision on a $48,000 vehicle seems reasonable to me, without arguing for years and years now about whether changing oil early does anything. Why the constant need to argue that person A is wrong simply to validate the decision person B made is ridiculous IMHO.

Next, we'll be arguing as to whether you should slam a door shut, or close gently, so as not to wear the door strikers out too fast.

As I stated previously....if you have a 3 year lease or bought the vehicle ouright and plan to sell it prior to the warranty expiring....then early and/or more frequent oil changes than what Ford themselves recommend is a complete waste of time and money......but if someone plans on keeping it longer...then I agree with Joe....it's just a feel good thing....
Besides....Ford knows better than anyone else buying their vehicles what the interval change times/miles should be.....

I think the door striker issue is a valid concern and should me moved to its own thread. Although the factory manual states: Inspect and lubricate if necessary every six months, I plan on checking mine monthly.

I think the door striker issue is a valid concern and should me moved to its own thread. Although the factory manual states: Inspect and lubricate if necessary every six months, I plan on checking mine monthly.

I think the door stricker lubricant specified is too thin. It should be romoved with toxic injector cleaner and the heavier weight lubricant applied monthly. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys are nuts! :D

Back