full synthetic oil | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

full synthetic oil

I hear all kinds of crazy claims about synthetic oil, granted it has some redeeming qualities, especially if you are a high mileage driver. But many of the claims made by people on these forums are just wishful thinking and rationalizing the additional money they spent on oil changes. I'll stick with what the manufacturer suggests and change every 4,000 - 5,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll stick with what the manufacturer suggests and change every 4,000 - 5,000 miles.
Too funny! You see the contradiction, right?

Of course he doesn't. I laugh when I read about the guy that changes oil every 4000 miles and will continue to do so because he has never had an engine issue. Talk about the epitome of anecdotal evidence. Well I stick with the OLM and I have never had an engine issue, even back before OLM's when I went by what the MFG recommended.

Of course he doesn't. I laugh when I read about the guy that changes oil every 4000 miles and will continue to do so because he has never had an engine issue. Talk about the epitome of anecdotal evidence. Well I stick with the OLM and I have never had an engine issue, even back before OLM's when I went by what the MFG recommended.

I've used Mobil1 in my old 2007 XLT and then used the Mobil1 High Mileage at about 80,000. Never had any issues with changing every 7000 miles; the explorer is now pushing 150,000. The engine has never had any problems.

On my 2015 XLT, I'm using Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w20 (because it's free for three years...the gold cap one, not blend) and then I'll probably switch to Mobil1 after that.....just because it's easier and cheaper to pick up at Walmart. Also, the Motorcraft oil filters are the best out there for the price! I'm going to stick with the 7000 mile intervals as well....

The 3,000 mile oil change is a thing of the past. Yes once upon a time you needed to do it. Gas had dirty lead in it, oil was not as good and engines were much less efficient with much sloppier tolerances. The only reason you still hear that today is because places like Jiffy Lube want to make money. You only hear it from those places. Really there is no reason to go less than 5,000 miles for conventional oil. For some vehicles manufacturers will even recommend 7,000 or 7,500 miles for conventional oil. Synthetic blends are mostly a sham and most are not really any better than conventional oil. Blends have to have very little synthetic oil in them to be called a blend. Most have so little there really isn't any benefit over a full conventional oil.

Unless you do extended oil change intervals then using full synthetic oil is a waste of money. In virtually any modern vehicle there is no danger in going 10,000 miles on a decent full synthetic. And that is something confirmed by chemical analysis of the oil after those runs. When I put more miles on my Explorers I used to run 10,000 mile change intervals with a high quality oil filter and Mobile 1. And later on Pennzoil Platinum. And that is regular Mobile 1 not the extended mileage. And that is even since the quality of Mobile 1 went down to a group 3 oil from group 4. Chemical analysis of my oil showed that there was even life left in the oil. Many people on a quality full synthetic with a quality oil filter will run 12,000 miles, then change the oil filter, top it off and run another 12,000 miles until they change it. Confirmed by oil analysis.

Too funny! You see the contradiction, right?

No, what that means is I'll stick with the oil they recommend, which is the semi-synthetic, and I'll change every 4,000 to 5,000 miles. There is no contradiction.

Sooo it's done, had to get the " low tire pressure" light cleared and while I was in, went with the full synthetic oil change. Now to sit back and evaluate. BTW can you reset the OLM yourself? They forgot at the dealer and I caught it just in time, so the mechanic came and reset it. BTW thanks for all the good discussion and info. Well Done.

Yes, you can reset the OLM yourself.

Peter

Yes, you can reset the OLM yourself.

Peter

OK, I thought so, so how do you do it? is it one of those things where you hold the switch down?

Looks like I'm getting slightly under 10000 km per oil change with the OLM. Just an FYI. Thanks

OK, I thought so, so how do you do it? is it one of those things where you hold the switch down?

Looks like I'm getting slightly under 10000 km per oil change with the OLM. Just an FYI. Thanks
In LH Information Display select, Settings/Vehicle/Oil Life Reset. It tells you to hold down 'OK' to reset.

Peter

In LH Information Display select, Settings/Vehicle/Oil Life Reset. It tells you to hold down 'OK' to reset.

Peter

LOL, I knew it was that simple. I was looking at the wrong screen. Thanks

We bought my wife a 2017 Explorer a few months back. I have only had one oil change so far, but due for another. I can't seem to find what kind of oil is recommended. I was told that these engines require full synthetic only, but I have no idea if that is the case or not. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We bought my wife a 2017 Explorer a few months back. I have only had one oil change so far, but due for another. I can't seem to find what kind of oil is recommended. I was told that these engines require full synthetic only, but I have no idea if that is the case or not. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Larry.:wave:
Your thread was moved to this existing one on the same subject.
The oil specs are shown in your Owner's Manual starting on page 339. For some reason U.S. model specs are different than Canadian ones. Here synthetic is an option.
Since you haven't added your trim level we don't know which engine you have.
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That is useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

I use full synthetic, buy it on sale , do it myself. I also use the oil life monitor, was down to 3% last change with 8300 miles since last change. Big chunk of that back and forth to Florida in the winter from Southern Ontario , all highway. I would say 3/4's of our driving is highway.

If you pay someone to change it then I get why some feel synthetic isn't required, blended can do, the price you pay is stupid at times for synthetic.

I am also a member of the Corvette forums, my god people get carried away about oil changes. The amount of times spent on this issue is by no means commensurate with the maintenance issues most people have with their engines related to oil and wear and tear.

I have a routine with new vehicles, keep it simple. First change is at 500 miles ( having worked in automotive plants there are many times engines get dirt and burrs in them when machined and assembled - first few miles all those parts are getting to know each other) and then after that I follow the oil life monitor. Always synthetic, it is superior, it also adheres to parts unlike regular oil so cold starts have some lubrication. Learned that from Bob the Oil Guy. I do my own changes because I have time and it is done right, no appointment necessary or waiting in line. Forty-five years of driving never a problem due to engine wear, lots of problems with everything else it seems. Although the last generation of cars/SUV's are just so much better built than previous generations. My last SUV a GMC Acadia I had no warranty issues at all , not one, just regular maintenance and at the expected mileage , time frames. The Ford has been good as well so far.

Back