• Register Today It's free!

one of thoes random accidents

Audio_1

Reaction score
City, State
Red herring
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
ok, so i go and drain the oil out of my x i take off the oil filter(not noticeing at the time, when i took it off the o-ring stuck to the place where you screw it on). put the new oil in, new filter on. i cstart the x up and the preassuse goes up and then the pressuse starts fluctuationg then goes away imeatily, so i hurried up and sut it off and i got out and i steaped in a large pool of oil. so im like wtf:confused: so i get under there(laying in the oil,fun) i take the filter off and im like wtf is going on. then i look beside me and there is a o-ring laying there, i look at the filter and the ring is on that. so i go look at the old filter and it was off of that one. so what happend was the old ring was stuck on there, and i thought the filter was on there good and snug, but actuly there was a big gap caused by this, there were 3-4 quarets of oil on the garage floor. and oil all over the engine bay of my x from the splatter. i cleaned it all up and now im reflecting on the incident

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

um, oops?

good thing you pay close attention or it could have been alot worse:(

good thing you didnt do any engine damage.... or did you? that kind of mistake can cuase an engine failure :(.... hopefully all is well and you were able to catch it before it siezed up on you.... i bet you will check for that next time ;)

Yea, I hate that. I have a SAAB sonnet. that i had just rebuilt the motor in (many Moons ago). I has a for V-4 in it. I had just put the thing together. It was beautiful and everthing was race ready. started it up. drained the oil, flushed the motor. got the good stuff out and start to fill it with oil again. I put in 5 qts. checked the dip stick. added some more checked again. Took a step and ended up on my A** in a puddle of expensive oil. Never in the 20+ years since then have ever not put a drain plug back in. Its funny now but not when I was on my butt on the floor. Slip Happens.

Whoa, i can identify with ya there, ive had a few whoops in my explorer. 1 my hood flying open on the road, and 2 was that i backed into a truck. 3. almost hit my house. I seem to reflect for long periods of time afterwards also

I had that happen once. I guess I screwed in the filter wrong or something. I started the car and the oil gauge never rise to the normal level so I shut it off. After that, I got off the truck and smelled something bad so I was like "OH S***!!!" So I had to scoop up the oil and had to go get another 5 quarts of Mobil1 and a new filter. Got everything in correctly, started, and worked like normal since. I'm glad I didn't cause any engine damage.

Back