• Register Today It's free!

Opions requested on rear shocks

WaterBrat

Reaction score
City, State
Tulum, MX Originally Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB V8 4WD
I have rebuilt my front suspension on my 05 EB V8 4WD over the last 1 1/2 years. Last part was lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and new Monroe quick struts which were replaced last month. I am now planning on the rears. I ocassionally tow a 6 x 12 cargo trailer and am thinking about getting a pop up camper or 14 - 16 ft travel trailer in the next couple of years. Should I use the Monroes or go with the Ranchos.? The Ranchos say will raise 1 -1/4 inches. Will this affect fuel milage or suspension geometry? Will it help at all with towing? The EB has factory class III/IV tow package. anyone have any experience with the rear being an inch highr than the front. Just want to know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Skipper (Back in TX)

Last year I also did major work on my suspension and used the Munroe's on the rear. I would think that the rear is already high enough. I can put substantial tongue weight on the hitch without any noticeable drop in the suspension. When towing my heavy tandem trailer I always use the equalizer bars when heavily loaded and adjust so vehicle and trailer are level. I am frequently close to maximum tow rating without any issues.

Back