• Register Today It's free!

P0193

kmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Sport
My 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac at 102,350 miles. Congratulations I think the thing turned on the SES light for its first time, went that long. Wife's vehicle since brand new, she don't remember it happening, married in 09, and never did anything for a SES light. However, had to other repairs that wouldn't throw an SES light. Anyhow, before it turned on, I was experiencing what seemed like a misfire accelerating (at around 2000 rpm's)when I use the vehicle before it completely cooled down from a previous us. Previously, I thought the misfire was a slipping transmission. It would clear up then as it warmed up. If I would use it like after 10 hours or more, no problem. Yesterday, the SES light came on while running in those circumstances. Only P0193 showed up in a scan. What could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac at 102,350 miles. Congratulations I think the thing turned on the SES light for its first time, went that long. Wife's vehicle since brand new, she don't remember it happening, married in 09, and never did anything for a SES light. However, had to other repairs that wouldn't throw an SES light. Anyhow, before it turned on, I was experiencing what seemed like a misfire accelerating (at around 2000 rpm's)when I use the vehicle before it completely cooled down from a previous us. Previously, I thought the misfire was a slipping transmission. It would clear up then as it warmed up. If I would use it like after 10 hours or more, no problem. Yesterday, the SES light came on while running in those circumstances. Only P0193 showed up in a scan. What could it be?
@kmartin

P-0193: Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor Circuit. FPTS is mounted on the fuel rail on the engine and acts to keep fuel pressure constant. Understanding how it does that is here unimportant. Very likely, it is sending the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, the computer) erratic data, causing the symptoms noted. This sensor is both a vacuum and electrically operated sensor. Therefore, based on the code, it's vacuum hose is not likely suspect. For my '04, the new FPTS cost $40-50, I installed it, and the trouble was gone. imp

Where is the sensor on the 2004 Sport Trac? It seems to me from reading online that it likely is a bad sensor. It appears these sensors commonly go out. A faulty fuel pump likely would mean, the vehicle is totally disabled or more than one code would be thrown. A clogged line or filter likely would mean that the hesitation would consistent and more than one code would be thrown. What your take?

@koda2000

"Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor is replaced when the cause is a defective Fuel Pressure Regulator"

From the link, this statement is incorrect, as a misdiagnosis cause, I believe. There IS NO Fuel Pressure Regulator; regulation (control of pressure) is accomplished by the running of the pump. There IS, however, a safety RELIEF valve in-tank, which MIGHT possibly go wide-open dumping the entire pump output back into the tank. Can't say it's not possible, but, well,....it's not possible.
imp

Back