P0442 Evap Leak - 2006 Explorer XLT 4.0L | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0442 Evap Leak - 2006 Explorer XLT 4.0L

I replaced my solenoid with a Doorman about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems. You can always check the solenoid out before you install it by connecting 12V to the contacts and blowing through the unit. You should be able to blow air without power applied and not be able to blow air with the power applied. If air is able to pass when the valve is closed, then it's leaking and will fail. (Then again, the Doorman Issue might be just an issue with the Capless systems?)

Yes brown strain, I was surprised too. I never gave it a second thought. I've run into a few situations where I needed to install OEM Motorcraft parts because aftermarkets were not suitable. One was my thermostat. Aftermarket thermostats keep the engine running too cold. Also, the EVAP Purge valve located under the hood didn't have the smoke machine connector on it when I bought aftermarket. I will be using Motorcraft parts more often for the more-complex fixes. I had the truck inspected the other day and the code DID clear out of the memory. So no DTC codes were pending. The solenoid was in fact shot.

Back