P0442 code 2006 Explorer XLT - can hear leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0442 code 2006 Explorer XLT - can hear leak

Line82

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT that threw the code P0442 (small evap leak). Under engine load, I can hear the hissing of the leak. I believe it is coming from under the hood. Idling however, no such luck, and cannot hear it.
I have inspected the lines and haven't found anything too obvious besides the rubber line running between the canister purge valve and the air intake may be degrading/rotting away. Has anyone had issues with the canister purge valve itself? (I had pictures but do not see a link where I can post on here)
Has anyone had this issue? Is my type of problem common? The vehicle has 122,000 miles on it.
Thank you for the info

If you search you should find at least two individuals that have replaced the purge valve to remedy their evap. system issues. If you can hear it under the hood then it is not the purge valve since that is under the car by the gas tank. It sounds like a return line if the sound is under the hood.
As far as posting pictures, you can upgrade your membership and have that option or you can have them posted on a picture hosting web site and just link to them in your post.

Hi Flag Gibby, thank you for your response.
I think I labeled it wrong. I should have typed 'Canister Purge Valve Solenoid' which sits under the hood near the brake master cylinder. I'm not hearing leaks from the rear of the vehicle. It's definitely under the hood. AutoZone's website has the part that I was looking at, and I was inspecting the hoses attatched to this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Canister-Purge-Valve-Solenoid/_/N-jnq5yZ9ixxi

You must have the V6 engine... I had to reference the diagrams over at fordparts.com to realize that the vapor canister and the purge valves are in different locations for the two engines. None the less, there are a few posts here regarding that code and replacement of the purge valve. The link below has a diagram showing the layout of the EGR system for the V6.
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2006&make=Ford&model=Explorer
With 122K miles on the vehicle take the time to replace the PCV valve also if you have not done so yet (not saying that it is part of the problem, just a regular maintenance item).

Back