Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

problem with turn signals. advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Mindy, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT
    Hi everyone, I recently bought a used 2000 Ford Explorer. It is running great, but I've been having a little issue with the turn signals. Every now and then they decide not to work. When I try to signal, the arrow light comes on but it doesn't blink. It will stay on until I turn or turn the signal off, but it just wont blink. also, when this happens with the turn signal, the hazard lights do the same thing. The arrows will stay solid, but they wont blink. This doesn't happen every single time, but often. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but I live in Ontario at the moment and I have to get a safety done on my explorer this week and if the blinkers decide not to work during the safety test then it wont pass. any help/advice is greatly appreciated :):exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Does it do it on left & right turn?

4. scucci

scucci Active Member

98 Sport
    do a search for multifunction switch. It sounds like that may be the problem.

5. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    2000 XLT
    It does it on both left and right. and when I put the hazard lights on.

6. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    2000 XLT

That's what I was thinking too, but it also does it when I try turning the hazard lights on.... is it all connected??

7. shoalcreek5

shoalcreek5 New Member

City, State:
    Utah
    '99 XLS
    Check/replace the bulbs for the signal lights at the corners of the truck. If you have a bulb that's burned out, the inside blinker will stay solid. If it's not that, then your flasher unit needs to be replaced (not at all expensive).

8. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    2000 XLT
    Thanks for the info. They have been working fine for the last two days. It's just every now and then the lights will stay solid. Could this be because the lights are there way out? I guess it's not hard to replace the bulbs myself, but I've never done it before so I'm always worried I will screw something up... But I guess this would be cheaper to try before changing the whole switch first.

9. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
    same thing happened to me with my old rodeo. check all the bulbs first, im sure it isnt a fuse because if it was, they wouldnt work at all. but if it isnt any of these problems, it could be the little mechanism in the steering column that the actual turn signal lever is connected to. this is what was causing my turn signals to malfunction. inside that little stich box, there is a tiny pin that gets pushed from side to side when you flip the turn signal lever. that little pin can get stuck, or or jammed, and it can cause the signals to not flash properly, at least that's what happened with mine. i just took my time taking the steering column apart and repositioned that little pin and got it to work again. im thinking it shouldnt be too different inside the steering column of the explorers. good luck and let us know if you fix it.

10. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ont
    96 XL
    More than likely that your flash module has got a problem if your signals and hazards are solid. Glad to see montreal joined the "rest of canada" in Ontario... :)

11. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    2000 XLT

I just noticed today that when that happens the lights on the outside come on as well and stay solid. lol. is the flash module a tough job??
    and thanks, I love Montreal. I came to Ontario for a year, I just purchased this car here and have to go through a bunch of crap to get it fully registered. Now I'm moving back to Montreal and I can't wait. lol

12. Mindy

Mindy New Member

City, State:
    Montreal
    2000 XLT
    I apologize in advance because this might be the dumbest question..... BUT I am going to ask anyway. lol. How many lights should light up when you turn your turn signal on?? I am curious of something lol

13. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    two at the front corner, one at the back.

We Support Our Troops!