Project: Paxton Charged 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: Paxton Charged 4.0

Okay so as many know, I've been planning on some type of boost for my truck for awhile. I went through a couple turbo options, but when it came down to it.. the paxton kit (i knew a place to get a brand new one) just made the most sense in terms of easy to setup, time, and reliability. This truck gets driven every day (although in the winter it'll be my b2 going out) so i wanted something i knew would not over boost or fail in a major way.

Motor this is going on is a built 4.0, 98TM heads p&p stage 3 on a 94 bottom end (result is 10:1 compression), with the 422 cam and some intake work, full exhaust.

Parts getting added.. the blower of course, some 42lb injectors, and a lightning maf. I've got a tune from when i had the n/a motor dyno'd, basically pulling some timing and dropping the a/f to 11.5 ish.

anyways.. i started on a few preliminary items yesterday.. battery is now in the bed and the blower test fitted.. ill need to get some lines made so that i can relocate the abs unit up towards the front of the battery tray (you'll see it's def in the way)..

on to the pics!

91c72adc.jpg

3ed72b4a.jpg

3bc8ce2b.jpg

9dc0b322.jpg

339fa1a0.jpg

as you can tell.. the dang abs pump thingy is in the way! but anyways.. ill just get some lines made and move the pump to the front of the battery tray.. as you can see in the picture there is a ton of room up there now

p.s.... i can't remember if i put up an ad for the nitrous or volant intake over here.. but i will soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great to see another on here with a paxton unit, I have the SN2000 model on my explorer, ans just installed water methanol injection too! You know those injectors are way big for this project...I did 30lbs and it took alot of tuning to get it right! I guess the heads are the only difference between us....

How much boost do you plan to run and are you going to run an intercooler? The reason I ask is I'm running 11-12 on my Cobra without an intercooler and 9:1 compression and I still get detonation on warm days. That's also with only 16 degrees of timing at full advance.

RJ did you take your mustang to a proper tuner?

I'll be at 5-6 pounds of boost.. I'm not really worried about detonation, I trust my tuner to write a safe tune for it. I might run an intercooler later, I wanna get the blower setup and see what kind of room I've got to squeeze piping around in.

The 42's aren't really all that big, and def not too big for this project. I'm running 30s on a daily driven n/a motor with no huge I'll effects. I'm hoping to tune it for e85, which would need the larger injectors and would take care of any real chance for detonating.

I've got a tune written off the n/a dyno tune I had done in feburary. He wrote it for a 90mm maf and 42's, dropped a/f and pulled spark tables down. Once I'm setup I'll do some datalogging and I might pull a bit more timing until I get down to put it on the rollers again.

Keep in mind these kits were designed and setup for no tune and used a fmu... Meaning they ran stock timing with the 5 pounds of bOost. I've got a significant amount of work done on the heads, along with a strong ignition setup and colder sparks. IMO, it's more than safe

With only 5-6 you be fine even if you're in CA and only have 91 octane like me. I actually have two tunes on my Cobra, one for pump gas and the other for VP100 for when I take it to the track.

RJ did you take your mustang to a proper tuner?

Yes, one of the best. It was tuned by Steve at Powertrain Dynamics. Here are some articles on it from 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0909_1994_cobra_mustang/index.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/ev...castrol_syntec_top_car_challenge/viewall.html

modified the stock abs pump bracket
b9a6b570.jpg

moved abs to front of battery tray

9e961332.jpg

other...
da8614aa.jpg

1a792041.jpg

a2a47d64.jpg

Got some more work done tonight.

660a691b.jpg

38e55aa6.jpg

1acd8d66.jpg

What transmission do you have?

Ryan

Mazda 5sp, 80k miles on it. Not worried about breaking it

Well here's where things start getting creative.. Lol as if they werent enOugh already...

Finally got the intake plenum mounted, had to use a couple of my own connectors and stuff.
06db4a09.jpg

74066327.jpg

Flashed my tune and mounted the iat sensor.. Need to but the charge pipe on for good and get the maf and filter install finished.

nice so far keep them coming

th_44f89be7.jpg

it feels great so far! the base tune is pretty good, i'd like the fuel a tad richer tho.. timing is set a 10 degrees full load until i can get on the rollers

I am glad to see your project coming along fishy!

You are running a built motor are you not? You plan to turn the wick up a little further in the future? I assume so if you are planning to run E85.

well my motor is built per say.. if you are referring to cam, stage 3 ported and that good stuff.. as far as bottom end it's stock 94 rotating assembly at 10:1 compression.. that's more of the reason for e85 so that i can turn the timing up

well my motor is built per say.. if you are referring to cam, stage 3 ported and that good stuff.. as far as bottom end it's stock 94 rotating assembly at 10:1 compression.. that's more of the reason for e85 so that i can turn the timing up

No I was referring to "built" as the rotating assembly. I figured that since your cr was different than stock that you had a forged bottom end. I retract my last statement about turning the wick up. Running 5-6 psi should still be fun for you.

Ya just stock bottom end until someday I can afford to beef it up

more pics:

984f6a4a.jpg

e42b4de6.jpg

432eefb1.jpg

a787f45e.jpg

I was thinking you beefed up your lower end too...so what has to be done for e85? My boost is 7-8 psi. Are or is emissions an issue for you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I've done to the bottom end is a sohc which just gives it a girdle. E85 needs a bigger pump, big injectors, and a tune for it. I dont have emassion regulations.

Back