01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete) | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete)

4.0 SOHC turbo charger project

Guys - I'm done....well, almost (you know how that goes)

I've drove the truck around today very safely and all I can say is wow...I love this and I'm very glad I did it. I'll have to say I went thru a lot to get this far and lost a few buddies along the way. :(

I'm gonna try like heck to get you guys some videos soon but right now I need to chill cuss my wife is pissed. I've been working on this truck when I should be working on the house, but oh well. blah blah blah.

I've got the boost at around 5 LBS and that's where it's gonna stay until I can get the MAF, injectors, and fuel pump in. Oh yeah, I'm running the 73MM C&L housing and stock injectors and pump. Anyways, I'll be changing those out and tuning the thing out pretty soon - I can then take her to the track and see what happens.....

This is what I've been wanting for two years now so I'm a little excited that it's here now. Not trying to make a drama thread here but I'm happy to join James in the STS 4.0 SOHC circle. Now let me see if I can out run him? :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, shoot for a slightly lower rpm to end at than optimum. As you get faster, the rpm's are going to go up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have been watching that build on SVTperformance. Sick ass ride for sure!!! I would keep it all Ford and build a 6.8 V10 with twin snails in the Ex:)

no way, there is not the aftermarket or durability of the ford v10. I think he even talks about in the build. I really hate dodge, but the viper motor is awesome.

no way, there is not the aftermarket or durability of the ford v10. I think he even talks about in the build. I really hate dodge, but the viper motor is awesome.

Don't get me wrong, the viper motor is kick ass and I know they make tons of power NA and forced inducted. If I remember, the triton V10 is essentialy a 5.4 with 2 more cylinders. I think the 6.8 V10's have forged cranks but just need better rods and pistons. Fix that problem and add some ported heads, intake with some twin turbo's on a safe tune and limit your RPM's, you could push 600+ HP with a 6.8V10 pretty easily. The viper motor has a much better following and parts available to make it easily exceed 1000+ HP which is probably what the sn95 stang owner is shooting for.

And Jakee, I heard something that turbo cars like numerically lower gears(3.55,3.27) better than higher gears(4.10's+) Because if you shorten up your rpm's(or useable powerband) then the turbo doesn't get much of a chance to really shine. I don't know if this makes sense but if someone has a better idea on what I meant, please help:)

All of the Ford modular engines have poor flowing heads, that is a massive deficiency. Ford will likely not correct that, after 19 years they now have a DOHC 4.6 which is still not close to 400hp.

BMW was commissioned to build a 6.0 liter DOHC V12 for a McClaren, and it made 627hp to begin with. Ford does not start things very well at all. Aftermarket companies have to correct their mistakes.

If I had the kind of money it takes to build such a project as that SN95 and Viper engine, I'd build a V12 from scratch. I'd make it about a 4.25-4.5" bore, and with a stroke of 3.5" on the low side, about 4.25" for a maximum. If you are going to make a big engine, make it damn big. Why do monster trucks run tiny 500-600 CI engines? They have unlimited space and development time and money. What the hell, those should be 2000hp+ engines, easily.

notice also that is 2nd viper he put in it. started with a earlier gen motor and half thru he says oh btw i put in a gen 3 motor now.

Trick Flow is coming out with a new 2V head for the 4.6's! It won't another cnc'd PI head like everyone else.

Now I know this will be hard to believe, but my dad used to race monster trucks back in the early 90's for about 7 years. His first truck was named Wild Thang and then he had two trucks named Plumm Nutz and Shark Attack. In 97' he sold one of the trucks to Jimmy Creten who lives in Tonganoxie, KS and his Semi/trailer to Kreg Kristenson. I am not sure who he sold the other one too. For about a year or so Jimmy used to race for my dad before he went on his own. Luckily for him in the beginning, Jimmy's grandpa was able to fund him before he got a big named sponsor Checkers Shucks Kragen(sp?) You can go to his homepage and he will not state how he got into monster truck racing via my dad. I have been to Jimmy's house several times which is really his grandpa's(now passed) and so I personally know him. When I go home I will take some pics of pics that my dad has of his own trucks.

Before the monster truck racing, my dad did mostly mud racing. I can get several pics of all his rides as well as the current one sitting in the garage(under a bunch of crap), "Show Time." Show Time is a rear engined mud racer. It would look exactly like a Top fuel dragster with the front cut short and a dana 60 in front. Has 44" cut Ground Hawgs in the rear on carbine fiber wheels with cut 40" boggers on the front. If anyone here followed mud racing in the 80's and have heard of Wild Thing, Show Time, or even my gramps "Super Jeep" that was my dad's.

My dad is a chevy fan and I am not. He has an all aluminum rodeck with 572 crank, ported aluminum heads, forged rotating assembly and roller cam. Hasa 14-71 blower with alcohol injection. The motor is not put together but he does have all the parts. If I was into chevy's, I would be driving a 72' shortbed pickup with a bigblock and nitrous that we also have(minus truck)

Sorry for the long post:)

That looks very good, I do wonder why those valve covers look so small. I love Fords, don't get me wrong. I see the potential in them, but I also see the things that should have been done better from the start. I work hard to make them better, or find a way to make them better.

I believe the pics are the 315HP 3V 4.6L in the current 2010 mustang. There are no shots of the new engine yet. Just a press release statement.

Ah, gotcha, I only browsed the article, and went to the pictures.

And Jakee, I heard something that turbo cars like numerically lower gears(3.55,3.27) better than higher gears(4.10's+) Because if you shorten up your rpm's(or useable powerband) then the turbo doesn't get much of a chance to really shine. I don't know if this makes sense but if someone has a better idea on what I meant, please help:)

Yes, this is because turbo's like load; that's how they make boost. You'll never see any boost if the motor is not under load or at least any boost to help you. On a street set-up this is the way to go (numerically smaller gear)

The thing is you still want to cross the end of a drag race around or near the final MAX HP number. If not, you didn't get the max of your set-up and there's more left.

Very true^ But you haven't yet dynoed your vehicle to find where your max power is? It would be good idea to do that before setting you ex up where you "think" it may be. Then you can optimize your shift points and find the perfect gearing/tire combo for the best possible performance.

Yap, you're right about this. I've been using data logs, for the most part, to tell me things.

The bed liner on the gray cladding actually looks pretty good. I'll try and get an "After" pic up with the wheels and cladding pretty soon. You'll have to use your imagination for the tires...

I may be going to the track friday... ;) Come on twelve's...............!

What have you done to help hit 12's? And you have already started to cover your trim pieces? And the wheels are on? To many questions and NO PICTURES!!!!!!!! Good luck this friday;)

When you get comfortable with the truck and the engine tune, then you can play with the shifting rpm. Doing that in the PCM will find the best mph to shift at. Just play with it and watch the track times. That's what I expect to do, I don't plan to go to my local 1/8 mile track often at all. I expect shifting to need to be around 5700rpm for mine.

I think the hurricane was the new 6.2 that's going to debut in the Raptor? But I do remeber something about the 777 which is probably what they are using in the Raptor R desert truck?

Another exciting thing is fords new "scorpion" diesel motor that's coming out:D

What have you done to help hit 12's? And you have already started to cover your trim pieces? And the wheels are on? To many questions and NO PICTURES!!!!!!!! Good luck this friday;)

I can't divulge this information, sorry. ;)

Meth, a touch more boost, seats gone and some slicks. Going to shift a little harder and higher as well as brake boost a little more on takeoff:) I smell 12.9's @ 106mph :) After 3rd pass, BOOOOM!!! New thread on new motor buildup:D Wish you luck!

Back