Project: Paxton Charged 4.0 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: Paxton Charged 4.0

Okay so as many know, I've been planning on some type of boost for my truck for awhile. I went through a couple turbo options, but when it came down to it.. the paxton kit (i knew a place to get a brand new one) just made the most sense in terms of easy to setup, time, and reliability. This truck gets driven every day (although in the winter it'll be my b2 going out) so i wanted something i knew would not over boost or fail in a major way.

Motor this is going on is a built 4.0, 98TM heads p&p stage 3 on a 94 bottom end (result is 10:1 compression), with the 422 cam and some intake work, full exhaust.

Parts getting added.. the blower of course, some 42lb injectors, and a lightning maf. I've got a tune from when i had the n/a motor dyno'd, basically pulling some timing and dropping the a/f to 11.5 ish.

anyways.. i started on a few preliminary items yesterday.. battery is now in the bed and the blower test fitted.. ill need to get some lines made so that i can relocate the abs unit up towards the front of the battery tray (you'll see it's def in the way)..

on to the pics!

91c72adc.jpg

3ed72b4a.jpg

3bc8ce2b.jpg

9dc0b322.jpg

339fa1a0.jpg

as you can tell.. the dang abs pump thingy is in the way! but anyways.. ill just get some lines made and move the pump to the front of the battery tray.. as you can see in the picture there is a ton of room up there now

p.s.... i can't remember if i put up an ad for the nitrous or volant intake over here.. but i will soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes headers no cats and flow 40

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well... today didn't really turn out as i hoped... the tuning still has a bug in it, wasn't able to get a wot pull on the dyno today. hopefully the tuner can figure out why it's doing what it's doing. once he does he'll email me the tune so i don't have to drive 3.5 hours to get it. so anyways.. we were able to get a pull without going wot and it's def got the power potential of what i was hoping for! the plot will be up in a sec....

okay.. again keep in mind this is not even wot.. and was only a 4.3 psi pull ;)

todays pull compared to na pull, notice we stopped pulling at like 4300 ish rpm

old numbers were 191/256

paxtonvsna.jpg

there's more in it once the wot bug gets ironed out

Just shy of 250hp at the wheels? nice...so what was happening that WOT couldn't be done? My tuner made me get a bypass valve and a Diablo MAF Extender. among other thing....

at wot the computer is taking the tps and doing funky things with it. it's going into a different fuel table than what we have set. so as soon as he figures out why it's doing that and fixes it then wot will be possible.

any updates?how much boost you running now?

sorry that i never updated this fellas,

the paxton build is complete. I put the intercooler on tonight which pretty much closes the 4.0 mods for this truck..

20120415_200648.jpg

20120415_200703.jpg

20120415_200724.jpg

anyways,

the dyno results (without intercooler) were 281whp/325wtq. it makes 5-7psi depending on how high you spin the motor.. it builds 7 lbs around 5600 rpm and it never stops pulling like it did without the blower. it's a fun little truck and tends to surprise some people too haha.

sorry that i never updated this fellas,

the paxton build is complete. I put the intercooler on tonight which pretty much closes the 4.0 mods for this truck..

20120415_200648.jpg

20120415_200703.jpg

20120415_200724.jpg

anyways,

the dyno results (without intercooler) were 281whp/325wtq. it makes 5-7psi depending on how high you spin the motor.. it builds 7 lbs around 5600 rpm and it never stops pulling like it did without the blower. it's a fun little truck and tends to surprise some people too haha.

You plan on turning up the boost any?

nope, i can't justify the $2xx on the 2-3 more psi impeller, and want to keep the engine together so that i can part it out after the summer so that i can build a 400horse small block

nope, i can justify the $2xx on the 2-3 more psi impeller, and want to keep the engine together so that i can part it out after the summer so that i can build a 400horse small block

Gotca.on that type of sc you cant just switch pullies?

on these old paxtons, you want to keep the internal rpm under 41000, putting on a smaller pulley normally spins them faster than that and makes them getting even hotter (i have the oil cooler on there but still). getting the high output impeller is the best thing to do...

That's loads of power! 281 at the rear wheels. Wow.

yes sir. i put this intercooler on but I've got a boost leak.. annoying... gotta figure out what is leaking now.. blah

Having OBD-II must be nice!!! But great work there!I have the impeller he's talking about in my supercharger, but my tuner was being a puss about setting the hp/power level.

I Expected a little hight tq numbers.hp numbers are good for 5-7psi though

crank that thing up man, yeah the only thing i'd be worried about would be spark knock... but add an intercooler and that would be solved. if i was keeping this setup in my truck after this summer id throw most boost at it, but meh.

if it was a roots blower the tq would be higher I'm sure

so does an intercooler defeat the purpose of water methanol?

doesn't really defeat the purpose, but kinda does the same thing.. or run both and an aggress tune!

i'll find a good tuner some day, alot of places have rejected me cause they say they have no knowledge on the ford 4.0..... but I need to start on my other project anyways, putting my 5.0 HO engine into my mercedes 300ce

doesn't really defeat the purpose, but kinda does the same thing.. or run both and an aggress tune!

This is my plan;) what are your manifold temps before ic and now? What type of ic did you use?

ebay special. intake temps were 120 - 130 on a coolish day. Today the ambient temp was 65, intake temps about 70

Back