raced a 4.6 L 2002 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

raced a 4.6 L 2002

ran into one at the christmas tree on the on ramp to the highway as i was leaving the campus today, kid was staring in line so i complimented his truck and asked him if it was fast? anyways, I pulled it hard off the line, it surged back up to the rear of my truck at my 1-2 shift then i ran away real easily. of course i was expecting to win! but it was an interesting race, and it was fun to see the kids face after the race as he shadowed me for a few miles on the highway. anyone know 0-60 and quarter times for these? i've done a few little mods since i've been to the track or tried to time myself, and i think my 0-60 has improved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the win:D Never been a 4.6 fan, so happy to see one put in it's place.:chug:

C&D published 0-60 times of around 7.9 and the 1/4 at 15.9.

yeah, thats about what i thought they ran. i'm happy about the 0-60 i must be getting (like mid 7s, maybe 7.3 or 7.4), but my quarter time is far enough ahead of a 4.6 that i can't even determine just how much ahead i should be. thanks for the info.

So what mods have you done to make your X so fast, or were you just a better driver?

i'm just a way better driver. i bought a tornado, but people said it didn't work so i didn't install it yet, but other than that i am bone stock. as all real racers know the art of driving an automatic transmission is all in the feet and eye coordination. and also, my truck just seems to be fast from the factory.

Dead Link Removed
I hope that link works. I just got it from Consumer Reports. But congrats on your racing skills. I got a 4.6L and people can say whatever they want about the style or off-road (in)ability. But one thing Ford did with the 4.6 was put power into the X. As far as I can find it is the fastest stock X ever. Your X just must be running great and you are clearly a better driver, which means a lot on the street.

well, as far as i know a sohc 01 sport with a stick will just edge out a 4.6 in the quarter, but not 0-60. as for me and the tornado, that was a joke! i have real performance upgrades. There is a great write-up in the link to my homepage

Expo, you got a good amount of mods, im suprised your not going faster, would you ever consider putting a cobra intake on it???
What gears do you have?

Originally posted by ChuckyD
Expo, you got a good amount of mods, im suprised your not going faster, would you ever consider putting a cobra intake on it???
What gears do you have?
It's my understanding that V8 explorers already have cobra intakes.

Originally posted by Jason_25

It's my understanding that V8 explorers already have cobra intakes.

Really, i wasnt aware of that!
Oh wait a sec, Expo, i think i remember seeing a picture under the hood of your X with a cobra symbol on your manifold... is that correct?

well, from last time i was at the track if you corrected my time for 72 and sea level and everything i would have been right around 15.0. and that seems like it is pretty fast for me with the mods i have done. maybe i should be faster?

yeah, i have the cobra's on the sides and a cobra efi plate on the engine. also, i do have the gt40 just like in the old cobras. also i have the 3.73s.

yeah i guess that is pretty fast, you do have a 4000 + lbs Explorer!
Someone needs some NOS...LOL

Expo, nice truck! Glad to hear that you were joking about the Tornado. Is that also your Escape in the pic? Real nice with the bull guard on it.

i've been toying with a 30-50 shot. but i don't think i'll really be doing any more major mods to this engine. i hope that my times are close to what they should be. i don't want to find out something is wrong.

that escape is going to be my brothers when he gets his license. i've gotten a little budget to modify it for him. next step is gonna be some gun metal 18s with pirellis. (but he has to work for those)

I ran a 14.26 at 100.02 last Friday at the Seguine Test n Tune.....i am very happy with the explorer these days...

I have not been posting all too much lately but i finally got everthing put in that i have been saving for:

Apten Chip
4.10 Gears
E-Cam and accessories
Mustang MAS and TB
Baumann Shift Kit- Level 4
FMS Headers- full 3" exaust (flowmaster dumped)
125 shot of the juice...hehe

i still have to send the chip back for reburning...i have not had it in since the cam went in....thinking about gettin the flip chip with a nitrous program, then one burned for the motor N/A......

i think that there is now really not that many explorers that can hang with me....it is really really great....i think i am done for awhile...way too much money thrown in in a way too short amount of time....

if this doesn't end up working out, i am thinking about a high compression 306....with a way big cam in it....hehe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, i just need to load em up...what do you want, slips or under the hood?

Back