• Register Today It's free!

Rattling from serpentine belt

scrambles565

Reaction score
City, State
masterofpuppets565@yahoo.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys I just signed up here. I'm a Blackhawk mechanic in the Army and I have a question about a rattling I have coming from my engine. First of all I am not much of a car mechanic, but through about 15 minutes of Googling I have narrowed down my problem. I got under the car and saw that a belt pulley bracket was shaking an awful lot and that seemed to be where the rattling was coming from. After finding out that my engine doesnt have a timing belt but a chain, I realized that it was the serpentine belt for my accessories. Now, I have heard people say it could be the tensioner, the alternator, or the idler. But I will add that, again Im not much of a car mechanic so bear with me, I have noticed all the lights on my car are unusually dim. The head lights and the cabin lights and the one up front right above my head, when I click it on, sometimes comes on and sometimes doesnt. With that being said, would I be correct in saying that its probably the alternator? My light is not on but thats what it seems to be adding up to. If so, can anyone give me any advise on not only the replacement process but how and why it would cause a rattling noise at a pulley bracket? Thanks!

..Welcome here and Thank You for your service..:salute:

..I'm moving your thread over to a sub forum where others may see it and will be able to help you out ..A couple spaces in your sentence wouldn't hurt either..;)

if your lights are dim it could be your alternator. these alternators are known for developing shaft problems. i'm about to replace the one on one of my '00 Mountaineers as it's started making a rattling noise. the tensioner shaking is normal, but while you have the belt off, consider replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys and the serpentine belt too. get your battery tested while your at it as a bad alternator can kill a battery and visa-versa.

Back