• Register Today It's free!

Rattling in front end

jarededge

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
I know that it's not my ball joints, sway bar bushings or links. I know that it is also a common problem in explorers between 70,000 and 100,000 miles. The noise keeps getting worse everyday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a metal on metal sound, like something metal is rattling around? If so, i have the same issue and i'm in the process of figuring out what it is...

I think what you are thinking, and were trying to say but could not because it is just too horrible to even be thinking about.

Were Cam chain tensioner and or timing chains, Arrrrrrrrrr Nooooooooooooo not that any thing but that, you god dam Beeping beep beep SOB 4.0 SOHC engine I hate I hate you.

Ok now that is out of my system.

The sound you are hearing can and is most likely the early stagers of the Timing issue. Check the truck out carefully for other possibilities for the noise, but if it is definitely coming from the front or back of the engine> Sorry the news is it’s all bad.

If its coming from the front and is a grinding noise while in motion and rattles anytime you hit a bump or irregularity in the road, it might be the break shield. It happened to me and I was going crazy trying to figure out the source. the bolt broke off and it rubbed on the rotors and rattled around making a horrid sound that got worse everyday. They could hear me coming a mile away!

Me too either...

I have the same symptoms, can't find the noise source. I am replacing the brake pads as a last ditch effort. The rattling seems to lessen, stop if I apply brakes when road is rough enough to cause such rattling.

Turning up the radio works temporarily...

Yvon

Back