• Register Today It's free!

Rear End and Front End Swap

Neil1750825

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
I have a 97 SOHC 4x4 Explorer with the 45 Rear axle code. Per my research I see that that means I have the 3.55 open rear end. I have had a bad seal in the front end for a long time and now finally I think the bearings are going out on at least one of the ends in the FRONT end. The vehicle is my daily driver so having it down for a long period of time isn't really a good option. I am planning on finding both a front and rear end in a junkyard and going through them on my own time replacing seals and checking the general health of the differentials at my own pace while keeping the Explorer on the road in the mean time. And if I am buying two new differentials from the junkyard I figure I might as well get 4.10s and would do limited slip if there is an option. So, that being said, what rear end tags should I be looking for. There is a self service lot near where I live so I could save some serious coin doing it myself. Thanks in advance for the responses. Let me know if there is any more info I need to provide.

Thanks for the info. What about the front end tag? Do they use the same naming?

NEil

Back