Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

Actually I have an '05 and it cracked over a year and a half ago. I live in Dallas area and every model Explorer that I see with that flawed design has a crack in it, and that has been in the 100's.

Sorry.. typo... should be 06+
06 and up do not have that applique panel... the glass hatch is smaller.. so you have to lift higher to put things in. and no panel to crack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

adhiesive for panel

What type of adhiesive/tape did you use to reapply the panel?

I can`t remember, but its the 3m tape made for just body trim I can get you the part number tomorrow at work :thumbsup:

No recall.

There's a Ford service proceedure bulletin available on line if you want to know how to replace the panel. Do some searching, it's out there.

Did one and shot it in black. Makes the rear window look 5 feet tall but we didn't have to worry about color match.

This is panel cracking season. You won't see this problem nearly as much in warm climates. The problem is expansion rates of glass versus plastic. The adhesive Ford used is very rigid and pretty much makes the panel a part of the glass. Good idea if you want to keep it from falling off. Bad idea if you live where the temerature can get below 20 degrees F.

Get in Explorer. Outside and inside temps are the same, i.e. below 25 - 20 degrees. Drive away with heat on. Glass warms, plastic doesn't warm as much and is also brittle from the cold (the brittleness of the plastic is the problem that Ford should have figured out). Glass gets bigger and plastic doesn't want to go along so it cracks.

Want to make sure the panel cracks?

Drive when it's 2 degrees. Turn on rear window defroster. When the panel cracks it sounds like a rifle shot in the vehicle. I know.....

Ford should have to replace these panels with a panel that is fabricated from an entirely different plastic but in these days of de-regulation VW can get away with disolving plastic water pump impellers and self clogging oil pumps, GM can get away with coolant leaks, Toyota can get away with unintended acceleration, Chrysler can get away with 2.7 V6 engines that saw themselves apart with the timing chain......... Makes a busted chunk of plastic seem unimportant.

If you DO buy a new panel don't expect it to last any longer than your original unless you move to Florida or southern Arizona. Using a different, more flexible adhesive than what Ford recommends may be key in not having another crack but you run the risk of the thing falling off.

rds

I replaced my and the new panel I replaced it with is made from a different material the old was made from ABS material and the new one is made from PBT+PVC and just from test bending the new to the old one you can really tell that the new one is allot more flexible I used 3m body trim tape from our customer, a first Tier supplier for ford and it`s like 3/4 to 1" wide and I used a special primer that our customer gave me and it stucked like a **** I will post tomorrow what the part number is of the tape

No recall.

There's a Ford service proceedure bulletin available on line if you want to know how to replace the panel. Do some searching, it's out there.

Did one and shot it in black. Makes the rear window look 5 feet tall but we didn't have to worry about color match.

This is panel cracking season. You won't see this problem nearly as much in warm climates. The problem is expansion rates of glass versus plastic. The adhesive Ford used is very rigid and pretty much makes the panel a part of the glass. Good idea if you want to keep it from falling off. Bad idea if you live where the temerature can get below 20 degrees F.

Get in Explorer. Outside and inside temps are the same, i.e. below 25 - 20 degrees. Drive away with heat on. Glass warms, plastic doesn't warm as much and is also brittle from the cold (the brittleness of the plastic is the problem that Ford should have figured out). Glass gets bigger and plastic doesn't want to go along so it cracks.

Want to make sure the panel cracks?

Drive when it's 2 degrees. Turn on rear window defroster. When the panel cracks it sounds like a rifle shot in the vehicle. I know.....

Ford should have to replace these panels with a panel that is fabricated from an entirely different plastic but in these days of de-regulation VW can get away with disolving plastic water pump impellers and self clogging oil pumps, GM can get away with coolant leaks, Toyota can get away with unintended acceleration, Chrysler can get away with 2.7 V6 engines that saw themselves apart with the timing chain......... Makes a busted chunk of plastic seem unimportant.

If you DO buy a new panel don't expect it to last any longer than your original unless you move to Florida or southern Arizona. Using a different, more flexible adhesive than what Ford recommends may be key in not having another crack but you run the risk of the thing falling off.

rds

Ive seen plenty cracked around here in FL. Id say every 4th one I look at has the crack. Maybe less than up north but still a problem here.
So expansion is just as big a part of the problem as contraction as shown by the picture of mine above.

ok here is the 3m tape I used, but like I said before, I got this from our customer that deals with tape on applications, all of the automated machines we build use tape on components so I`m not sure how easy its going to to find this stuff at regular stores including the clear primer that needs to be applied and dried before application of tape to panel,

3m acrylic foam tape 5344 is a gray, double-coated acrylic foam tape commonly used for the attachment of automotive exterior trim parts such as body side moldings. 3m AFT 5344 is a meduim density foam tape provding a balance of conformability and strength. The acrylic foam core has unique viseoelastic properties that allow it to elongate and relax when put under a load, thereby minimizing stress on the adhesive bond line.

above is from the tech sheet from my customer. hope this helps

Did not realize I was not the only one. It cracked from top to bottom all the way through on my 02 Eddie Bauer last winter. I work at a ford dealer I will have to see how much to replace it.

Been there...got the shirt..Bill is right in front of me

total parts $1344.77

(Including the glass & No labor)

Everyone PLEASE keep a close eye on that back gate....It will inevitably crack and possibly break the glass as well, kit or not, hell mine has broke twice and I don't ever, I mean ever use the back hatch at all!!!:mad:

Now I just got the truck repaired again before the holidays, drove into work Monday, had to back up and the tranny seems off when I shift into idle "p" after.
I tow/locksmith/roadside assistance, as a profession, If I only got paid as to how many 02-05 Explorer's I handled, I'd be a very,very rich man.

hi all! new to forum. have a different take on this thread. mine ('02 Limited) developed the aforementioned crack in the usual position. while parked at work on a rather stormy windy midwestern evening the wind got under it and ripped the applique half off revealing a black plastic grid type affair that is bonded somehow to the window glass itself. now my question is, is this grid affair part of the replacement part or is it part of the window? it did reveal that a large amount of water had been under it because the latch mounted to the window was quite rusted. i talked to ford and no luck with them at all. just to suck it up. said something about outsourcing to the auto glass company. can't imagine why unless that black grid is part of the window. any thoughts or pictures? looks like hell. thanks to all who have posted for your thoughts and info.

hi all! new to forum. have a different take on this thread. mine ('02 Limited) developed the aforementioned crack in the usual position. while parked at work on a rather stormy windy midwestern evening the wind got under it and ripped the applique half off revealing a black plastic grid type affair that is bonded somehow to the window glass itself. now my question is, is this grid affair part of the replacement part or is it part of the window? it did reveal that a large amount of water had been under it because the latch mounted to the window was quite rusted. i talked to ford and no luck with them at all. just to suck it up. said something about outsourcing to the auto glass company. can't imagine why unless that black grid is part of the window. any thoughts or pictures? looks like hell. thanks to all who have posted for your thoughts and info.

Very valid question.
The black plastic grid stays on the window. The replacement panel does not come with it.
Here is a video showing replacement. (note, this method seems crude using a hammer and putty knife for removal)
You'll see the black plastic thats attached to the glass.

yeah thats how I removed mine and the 3m tape just sticks on top of the mold grid on the glass

thanks curtis and 2003vstrom! watching that video started to give me the creeps. you know, the heavy steel versus glass thing. i guess the only question is where do you buy the replacement from? i've heard that the company that sponsored the video "OEM Solutions" might not be very reputable. any thoughts? dealer wants $135.00 unpainted.

thanks curtis and 2003vstrom! watching that video started to give me the creeps. you know, the heavy steel versus glass thing. i guess the only question is where do you buy the replacement from? i've heard that the company that sponsored the video "OEM Solutions" might not be very reputable. any thoughts? dealer wants $135.00 unpainted.

You do have the option of painting it yourself.
Some guys have painted it gloss black to blend into the glass. That way you don't have to color match and you can just use a can of $6 black from an auto parts store. Just prep with 600 grit wet and use a good primer too.

You do have the option of painting it yourself.
Some guys have painted it gloss black to blend into the glass. That way you don't have to color match and you can just use a can of $6 black from an auto parts store. Just prep with 600 grit wet and use a good primer too.

that may work fine since the truck is black. thanks again!

Rick

I work at a ford dealer and they gave me an employee price of $96 but has to be painted.

Dealer only?

So is this a dealer only part or is there an aftermarket company that carries them?

So is this a dealer only part or is there an aftermarket company that carries them?

There is a company I found thru this forum called OEM solutions. Have not tried to get in touch with them yet. I wish I had copied the link to their site but I didn't. Search this forum and you may find the link.

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill be a SOB! :mad: I found out today that mine has cracked, and by luck found this thread.

I wonder if washing mine yesterday had anything to do with it getting down to 17 last night?

Back