Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

Looks like I have joined the crack club as well. Mine cracked while sitting in the garage a few nights ago. I'm sure the recent temp fluctuations contributed to it, but it's really the poor design that caused it. I won't spend one dime fixing it. Instead, I'd rather leave it right next to the FORD emblem as advertisement of the type quality from FMC. I am from the Detroit area (where I lived for 43 of my 44 years), am related to Detroit-3 workers and their suppliers, and have owned nothing but Detroit-3 autos my entire life, including Ford since 1995. I will no longer spend anymore of my paycheck fixing junk, and make no mistake, in spite of the marketing campaigns and recent improvements in quality surveys, the Detroit-3 still builds junk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After posting I saw two more today while parked and guess what my sons has the infamous crack. Wake up Ford you are loosing your longtime customers and stop your denying a problem exists. Looks like I will be calling them again and getting the run around both have less than 60,000 miles with fuel gauge issues top showing a rust spot on top over the windshield not to mention the heater problems oh well.

...Instead, I'd rather leave it right next to the FORD emblem as advertisement of the type quality from FMC..... .

Yup, my thoughts exactly. I love my explorer but I doubt I'll buy another Ford. Its not so much the issue itself but rather how Ford have responded (totally ignore it). :thumbdwn:
We have a popular saying here for when **** happens 'own it, fix it, learn from it'. Hope your reading FORD

Another addition to the club here, warm car wash and then out into ~15 degrees ..

I have a 2005 Mountaineer with 95K mi. I live in Iowa, so get all the temperature extremes. I have used the window all the time for 5 years and it just developed a crack in the last 6 mos. I don't use the door because when getting things like groceries out of the back the stuff will fall on the ground before you can catch it. I use the emblem to close the window so as not to scuff the paint when it is dirty. I may have to rethink that.

Where can I get an aftermarket part? I tried to go to the oem solutions link in previous posts and it was unresponsive. The dealer quoted me $459 to fix. If I can't get aftermarket I may use the factory part do it myself with the tape.

Feel free to pm me if you have any help on this.

Crack

I got to join the crack club today, 15 F outside and a crack appeared. After this explorer I am also joining the NBAFA club (never buy a ford again)

I see that there is a class action lawsuit in another thread on this site. If you get yours fixed keep the receipt and if it is won, Ford should pay for the fix. Now who knows how long it will take to resolve, but I will save the receipt for a possible $459 (my quote). In the lawsuit it says they will pay even if already payed for by the customer.

Just a bump to say that this is in the yard at LKQ in Kalamazoo, for anyone close to there that needs one...

IMG_2119.jpg

Just a bump to say that this is in the yard at LKQ in Kalamazoo, for anyone close to there that needs one...

IMG_2119.jpg

The problem with that one is getting it off without it cracking
They when they do stick.. they are really stuck.

That's why if they're close- take the whole window assembly. Trying to take the plastic trim off is an exercise in futility... :)

That's why if they're close- take the whole window assembly. Trying to take the plastic trim off is an exercise in futility... :)

Around here the yard want $400 for the glass!

So I asked if they had a fully dressed hatch off an 06+ and they want $700 for that!

That gate would be about $60 here...

$700? Holy crap!

image_c5d37a2a32.jpg

joining member today, not really a fluctuation in temperatures though, i did hit a pothole on the interstae which scared the s*** out of me, i belive mine was due to pressure, if i feel the hard hit throught the seat, that window must be feeling it too

I finally decided to take care of this as I can no longer look at it. The crack is now 3 cracks and has formed a wishbone around the Ford emblem, if that makes sense.

I called two local dealerships and was surprised when they told me that they will only use glue and will not use the 3M tape as has been recommended. From what I've read, the crack will happen again if I go with the glued method.

While I prefer to use a Ford dealership, I've talked to a few independent places who actually are recommending the 3M tape. I will likely go independent as a result, but does anyone know if the glue and/or application process (if this even makes a difference) has changed that would cause this not to crack again?

I'm only looking to pay for this repair once, obviously.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I had my crack fixed for free (still under 3/36 warranty)Back in 2002/2003.Its now June 2011 and its cracked again.I thought ford replaced it with a metal one guess not.

Class Action Suit for Lift Gate Cracks (Summer 2011)

I just bought my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT in October and noticed a little crack, and upon leaving the grocery store, noticed it was HUGE. I joined this website and started my research. I actually came across the following, so keep your eyes open. What I'm doing is making a flyer with this information and when I find someone with a crack in their lift gate panel, I'm going to put the flyer on their windshield so they will have the information. I LOVE my Explorer and I am sure many of you do too! I aim to keep her in TIP TOP condition to the best of my ability!

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/06/17/Ford.pdf (This is a copy of the 36 page filing of the Class Action Suit started June 2011)

http://www.topclassactions.com/laws...23-ford-cracked-tailgate-class-action-lawsuit (A posting of the Federal suit in which you can enter your email address to make sure you are notified of any update or changes.

Michelle :party:

Has anyone tried to just cover up the problem with a vinyl wrap of some sort? I'm pondering this idea and wondered if its been discussed yet? It may not be a perfect match but might look ok black or try to color match.

Dam.........Mine lasted 10+yrs.Now split like a cherry.

MGG theres a thread around here.Someone used silicone to fill the gap and paint it.Did not look to bad all things considered.

Has anyone tried to just cover up the problem with a vinyl wrap of some sort? I'm pondering this idea and wondered if its been discussed yet? It may not be a perfect match but might look ok black or try to color match.

This is what I plan on doing as there is no sense in paying to fix it as it will only happen again.

On top of that nothing will come from the class action lawsuit.
Owners may get $10 bucks as a settlement after the attorneys take their cut.

If it is even won as that it doubtful. A design flaw that is purely cosmetic isn't going very far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dam.........Mine lasted 10+yrs.Now split like a cherry.

MGG theres a thread around here.Someone used silicone to fill the gap and paint it.Did not look to bad all things considered.

This is what I plan on doing as there is no sense in paying to fix it as it will only happen again.

On top of that nothing will come from the class action lawsuit.
Owners may get $10 bucks as a settlement after the attorneys take their cut.

If it is even won as that it doubtful. A design flaw that is purely cosmetic isn't going very far.

Two problems with covering it as is, is that there will be a line that's visible from the crack and second, the covers moves with tempature and will expose the line and fuin the vinyl.

Now if you remove the cover, bond the seam together and reapply the cover with 3m tape and then cover it with vinyl, you'll have better luck. I'm going to take a stab at fixing mine and learn to paint since I've already got a paint gun.

Back