Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

Ill be a SOB! :mad: I found out today that mine has cracked, and by luck found this thread.

I wonder if washing mine yesterday had anything to do with it getting down to 17 last night?

Quite possible, water gets behind it, freezes, pops it out and cracks. But Its not the only factor. The panel has a huge amount of expansion and contraction within itself. I see a lot of them cracked here in FL, so the freezing part might not play as big a role.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just joined the crack Club!...lol...

Does anybody know if a 2006+ will fit the 2002-2005 Explorer? My 2004 has the crack, the new 2010 has the new design. They sure look think they are interchangable.

I know I could always 'try it', but I think my wife would kill me if I started to take apart the new X.

Does anybody know if a 2006+ will fit the 2002-2005 Explorer? My 2004 has the crack, the new 2010 has the new design. They sure look think they are interchangable.

I know I could always 'try it', but I think my wife would kill me if I started to take apart the new X.

Ive wondered the same thing... and they sure look interchangeable...
If it did fit, I bet ford change the wiring harness for lights and wiper controls :p:
Would love to hear from someone that has done or tried this.

Damn it !

Add me to the club too. Woke up this morning to find mine cracked in my garage. Where is the lawsuit? We must do something about this. i have seen many with this problem on the website. Mine is a 2005.

the 4th gen glass is shorter with a wider hatch.

dont quote me on this but it def looks like the 4th gen hatch and glass assy fits in the gen 3.

Add me too. Cracked from top to bottom. Looks horrendous.

Add me to the club. I just found mine this after noon. Don't know if it's the cold or not but it's the coldest day so far this winter, but only 32 degrees. My big question is, How the heck am I gonna get this fixed in Italy.

Add me to the club. I just found mine this after noon. Don't know if it's the cold or not but it's the coldest day so far this winter, but only 32 degrees. My big question is, How the heck am I gonna get this fixed in Italy.

You live in Italy?

I'd just deal with it for now. I have been for 4 years and if I can get mine off without breaking it, I plan on putting it back together and shaving the emblem(maybe).

Or just buy a new piece from Ford and paint/install is myself.

You live in Italy?

I'd just deal with it for now. I have been for 4 years and if I can get mine off without breaking it, I plan on putting it back together and shaving the emblem(maybe).

Has anyone attempted removal of the cracked piece from the glass? Can this be done by a novice without breaking the glass? imp

Cracked up

You live in Italy?

Yep, I'm stationed over here with the Air Force.:salute:

Stateside, this would be an easy fix for me. All my tools are are in storage back there. I still might be able to do the repair if I can find one and have it shipped over.
I don't think I can let it go. I'm borderline OCD (at least that's what I've been told) it's only been a day since the crack showed up and it's already buggin the crap outta me.

Mine cracked last month, the day I used the rear wiper for the first time since buying it at the end of October.

Can the two be related?

My 05 cracked last week 56,000miles and I am pissed. Also the fuel sending unit wont work not to mention the heater control. I have always owned Fords but starting to doubt myself.

This cracking seems to be more prevelant on Explorers in which the Owner's open just the glass window more so than opening the entire rear lift gate door.

My father's 02 Explorer also has cracked - however, the one on our 04 has not. He always uses the rear window as the sole method to load/unload items instead of opening the entire rear lift gate - whereas we always use/open the entire rear lift gate door and hardly ever just open/close the glass.

Most folks when closing that rear window glass will put their hand and pressure onto that trim piece (more so the center Ford emblem) when shutting the glass window. I've seen some folks slam this window shut as well. Over time, it's bound to crack due to the stress & pressures being exerted upon it, especially if the Owner is using that as the sole means to load/unload small items into their Explorers.

Should it break? I'd say no, but again, it's only secured to the glass via adhesive and it also expands/contracts at a different rate than the glass does when it's cold or hot outside - so the chances of it breaking is definitely possible. However, the rate at which it will break/crack is greatly accelerated IF the Owner is constantly using that window instead of opening/closing the entire rear lift gate door.

This cracking seems to be more prevelant on Explorers in which the Owner's open just the glass window more so than opening the entire rear lift gate door.

My father's 02 Explorer also has cracked - however, the one on our 04 has not. He always uses the rear window as the sole method to load/unload items instead of opening the entire rear lift gate - whereas we always use/open the entire rear lift gate door and hardly ever just open/close the glass.

Most folks when closing that rear window glass will put their hand and pressure onto that trim piece (more so the center Ford emblem) when shutting the glass window. I've seen some folks slam this window shut as well. Over time, it's bound to crack due to the stress & pressures being exerted upon it, especially if the Owner is using that as the sole means to load/unload small items into their Explorers.

Should it break? I'd say no, but again, it's only secured to the glass via adhesive and it also explands/contracts at a different rate than the glass does when it's cold or hot outside - so the chances of it breaking is definitely possible. However, the rate at which it will break/crack is greatly accelerated IF the Owner is constantly using that window instead of opening/closing the entire rear lift gate door.

I dissagree.
You got the expansion and contraction part right, but using the glass hatch should not cause this to break, its pretty evenly glued to the glass and wont flex more than the glass does.

The problem is the glue itself. The adhesive is so strong it does not allow for expansion and contraction, over time on a cold / hot day its going to crack.
People that have the ford dealer replace it, can experience the crack again as they use the same glue. Those that have replaced it and used a quality 3M double sided tape usually dont experience further problems.

My 04 has a section that has come un-glued, and on a hot day that will pucker out 3/8". That just shows how much these panels are affected by temperature. Im sure mine would be cracked if this section was not allowed to flex.

IMG_2027.jpg

Curtis -

We both may be on the same track - but how do you explain Exp's that have not been affected (ie: not cracked) being in the same climate/region as those that have?

Most, if not all of the cracks I have seen on local Exp's (and my father's) have vertically cracked right in the center where the Ford emblem is located. Most owners when closing the hatch glass put their hand onto the center or over the Ford emblem when closing the glass, some exerting pressure onto the plastic trim piece itself. It does not take alot of force to close that window, however some seem to think you need super human strength to close it... LMAO...

Eh - either way, I guess those of us who have not had the crack occur yet are either just plain lucky - or the method being used to load/unload the vehicle is possibly part of the reason (in addition to climate conditions).

:)

I called Ford and they really play dumb to all of this. Can they really be that uninformed . I dont think so but that is their way of dealing with it ignore it.

Curtis -

We both may be on the same track - but how do you explain Exp's that have not been affected (ie: not cracked) being in the same climate/region as those that have?

Most, if not all of the cracks I have seen on local Exp's (and my father's) have vertically cracked right in the center where the Ford emblem is located. Most owners when closing the hatch glass put their hand onto the center or over the Ford emblem when closing the glass, some exerting pressure onto the plastic trim piece itself. It does not take alot of force to close that window, however some seem to think you need super human strength to close it... LMAO...

Eh - either way, I guess those of us who have not had the crack occur yet are either just plain lucky - or the method being used to load/unload the vehicle is possibly part of the reason (in addition to climate conditions).

:)

I guess I was quick to jump.. but I can see your reasoning. That middle part with the emblem is the weakest part.
And to explain explorers in the same region without the crack, could also be inconstant installation/adhesive application in the assembly process

Come to think of it, mine cracked the day after I had opened the glass instead of the whole lift gate. I was trying out the switch on the back to open just the glass to be sure it worked okay. Next day, the crack started.

I have a difficult time believing the contraction theory since this truck has spent it's whole life in Nebraska and South Dakota and was crack-free up until a few weeks ago. Temperature swings of 50 - 60 degrees in a single day are not unknown. I don't think the Previous Owner used the glass door that much. And I only tried it once or twice to make sure it operated correctly. Cracked shortly after that during a week of mild weather and no precipitation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not buying into a theory that the way you close the back gate determines whether it cracks or not. My 05 back door rarely used and garaged most of the time. What I have read is sudden changes in temp causes this the the very strong glue used and no way for the panel to move which would sound logical. Mine just happened when the weather got cold this week.

Back