• Register Today It's free!

Roof baskets experiences...

M1911A1

Reaction score
City, State
MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
I'm in the market for a roof basket, and would appreciate any input from users, as of brand, size, convenience, noise etc. I'm considering a Yakima large size. But would greatly consider your ratings.Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

P.S. Do you guys mount the basket directly on the original truck racks? I have seen some mounted on additional bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the search for other roof basket threads. There are probably a dozen threads filled with pictures and feedback already. Personally, I couldn't find one I really liked so I made my own. That'll be one of the threads that comes up. I'm really happy with it so far.
544cfbfe.jpg

i run a Sport rack basket on the original racks no noise no issues

Waterloo-20120922-00038-1.jpg

i did work for a truck outfitter shop and have used a and installed quite a few different baskets. there's a cheap basket that works great on ebay. search "rage roof basket". it costs around 130 bucks. its pretty damn quiet, its solid, and i really like how the bottom has a gated mesh type bottom. it gives you tons of places to hook bungies and straps. its a great deal. the only downside i found with it is that a really hot summer can warp the wind farring. it doesnt affect its funcitonality, but it does warp in heat a bit. the yakima warrior series racks and the curt baskets are great too. i recently upgraded to the thule MOAB and it is freaking nice. the MOAB is a bit noisy, but it is very solid, you can add a middle extension if you need more surface area, and you can add thule locks to them and they will lock securly to the cross bars.

in terms of wind noise which can be really annoying, the baskets dont cause the noise as much as the type of cross bars you use. do some research, im sure other will chime in.

I've really liked my Curt basket so far. Cheaper than the more common "basket companies" and if they can make hitches, they should be able to make a decent basket, right? Also has the ability to add a middle extension.

2012-08-30_19-23-46_309.jpg

Thanks guys for your replies and pictures. I ordered a CURT basket with an axtension.

I like baskets but I still park in short parking garages on occasion and they hurt MPG. But nonetheless subscribing to see the options out there.

I saw absolutely ZERO MPG difference after putting my basket up, and mine is probably the largest on here....

i didnt notice any mileage diference either and luckily i have a gravel floored garage so every time the truck gets taller i just dig down a bit more

I haven't noticed anything with mine, here's mine. I built it.
IMG_0973_zpsbc7e5a5e.jpg

I think you'll like that choice. Tighten the mounting brackets down real good. My hand got tired the first day and I got lazy so I quit with "good enough." Couple days later I noticed it had shifted. I took the time and effort to do it right the second time and haven't had that problem again.

I have crawled on top of the basket with the spare in it and far exceeded the weight limit but didn't feel like it was stressed. I would think the extension may make it weaker, though.

I simply don't track gas mileage because I only fill up once a month. I'm sure I suffered some loss with the basket and the brick wall of a 35x12.5 tire on a steel wheel, though.

you wont really notice a difference in mpg until its filled up with tons of gear. driving uphill into the wind with a full load makes my trac feel like a kite sometimes. its totally worth it. with my basket, i can take 4 adults and two large dogs camping/fishing for up to 3 days comfortably.

here's mine with a medium load in the basket
P1060549.jpg

this is my thule MOAB basket.

here's my old basket. loved this one too.
P1040866.jpg

I had a Yakima load warrior and just received a Mega Warrior. I have enjoyed having one in the past and wanted a little bigger one. The one thing I would watch is the weight limit on the factory bars or siderails. Yakima only recommends 165 lbs for their systems. I am not sure on the other models out there. The pics look great guys and I will post pics of mine once I get it all put together.

I should mention that another reason I went with the Curt was it's size because of the small roof I have due to having a bed. I wanted one just big enough to fit a 35" spare and this fit perfect. Other than the tire, I just have a shovel up there and could fit a few other similar sized items. A 3rd Gen would definitely need a larger basket. The extension would do it.

I am cheep just kept a eye out for a used one local that was nice. Got mine with all mounting stuff for 75.00. It is a soof brand but works great sorry have no pics of it.

I should mention that another reason I went with the Curt was it's size because of the small roof I have due to having a bed. I wanted one just big enough to fit a 35" spare and this fit perfect. Other than the tire, I just have a shovel up there and could fit a few other similar sized items. A 3rd Gen would definitely need a larger basket. The extension would do it.

The smaller size was a factor for me too, because i can re-use the basket w/o the extension on my Hyundai elantra if we need to.

i have that rage basket that sumone said and i love it ... i have had no problems and i mounted it right to the luggage racks that were already there ... no movement at all ... i'll try to get a pic up later ... holds a tire and a metal box

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put the Rage basket up and I love it. Amazon, 125 bucks. Came a bit scratched but whatever, I will probably respray it flat black on an off day from work in the spring. Solid mount and wind fairing is sporty. I cut the "Rage" letters off the decal becuase they were slightly damaged during shipping. Strong enough to mount and axe and shovel too and holds the spare just fine. I just couldn't justify spending 399 on a Yakima basket sorry.

andystire5.jpg

Back